Aug 31, 2013, 12:42 PM EST
Friday represented a dose of reality moment for Daniel Alfredsson, as he skated with his Detroit Red Wings teammates for the first time.
Fox Sports Detroit unearthed some interesting details and also gathered the 40-year-old winger’s thoughts on the situation.
“It felt good to finally come here and skate,” Alfredsson said. “It’s been a few months since I signed, and the only thing that has happened is moving the family.
“We arrived yesterday, and coming here, skating with the guys, almost makes it feel that it’s real now.”
The Swedish forward described this as “a really exciting adventure” for himself and his family. He also mentioned that he still loves Ottawa, even if his time with the Senators is over.
(In case you’re wondering, the Senators visit the Red Wings on Oct. 23 and Nov. 23.)
Beyond the emotional bits, there were some interesting practical observations.
Alfredsson wore his usual No. 11 (which happens to be Dan Cleary’s former number). MLive.com reports that Alfredsson took up Valtteri Filppula‘s stall alongside fellow Swede Henrik Zetterberg, another seemingly symbolic gesture that he’s fitting into the new mix and forcing old faces out.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 67
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (67)