Aug 31, 2013, 12:42 PM EST
Friday represented a dose of reality moment for Daniel Alfredsson, as he skated with his Detroit Red Wings teammates for the first time.
Fox Sports Detroit unearthed some interesting details and also gathered the 40-year-old winger’s thoughts on the situation.
“It felt good to finally come here and skate,” Alfredsson said. “It’s been a few months since I signed, and the only thing that has happened is moving the family.
“We arrived yesterday, and coming here, skating with the guys, almost makes it feel that it’s real now.”
The Swedish forward described this as “a really exciting adventure” for himself and his family. He also mentioned that he still loves Ottawa, even if his time with the Senators is over.
(In case you’re wondering, the Senators visit the Red Wings on Oct. 23 and Nov. 23.)
Beyond the emotional bits, there were some interesting practical observations.
Alfredsson wore his usual No. 11 (which happens to be Dan Cleary’s former number). MLive.com reports that Alfredsson took up Valtteri Filppula‘s stall alongside fellow Swede Henrik Zetterberg, another seemingly symbolic gesture that he’s fitting into the new mix and forcing old faces out.
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 13
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 19
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)