Aug 31, 2013, 12:42 PM EDT
Friday represented a dose of reality moment for Daniel Alfredsson, as he skated with his Detroit Red Wings teammates for the first time.
Fox Sports Detroit unearthed some interesting details and also gathered the 40-year-old winger’s thoughts on the situation.
“It felt good to finally come here and skate,” Alfredsson said. “It’s been a few months since I signed, and the only thing that has happened is moving the family.
“We arrived yesterday, and coming here, skating with the guys, almost makes it feel that it’s real now.”
The Swedish forward described this as “a really exciting adventure” for himself and his family. He also mentioned that he still loves Ottawa, even if his time with the Senators is over.
(In case you’re wondering, the Senators visit the Red Wings on Oct. 23 and Nov. 23.)
Beyond the emotional bits, there were some interesting practical observations.
Alfredsson wore his usual No. 11 (which happens to be Dan Cleary’s former number). MLive.com reports that Alfredsson took up Valtteri Filppula‘s stall alongside fellow Swede Henrik Zetterberg, another seemingly symbolic gesture that he’s fitting into the new mix and forcing old faces out.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 0
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 28
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 24
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)