Aug 31, 2013, 12:42 PM EDT
Friday represented a dose of reality moment for Daniel Alfredsson, as he skated with his Detroit Red Wings teammates for the first time.
Fox Sports Detroit unearthed some interesting details and also gathered the 40-year-old winger’s thoughts on the situation.
“It felt good to finally come here and skate,” Alfredsson said. “It’s been a few months since I signed, and the only thing that has happened is moving the family.
“We arrived yesterday, and coming here, skating with the guys, almost makes it feel that it’s real now.”
The Swedish forward described this as “a really exciting adventure” for himself and his family. He also mentioned that he still loves Ottawa, even if his time with the Senators is over.
(In case you’re wondering, the Senators visit the Red Wings on Oct. 23 and Nov. 23.)
Beyond the emotional bits, there were some interesting practical observations.
Alfredsson wore his usual No. 11 (which happens to be Dan Cleary’s former number). MLive.com reports that Alfredsson took up Valtteri Filppula‘s stall alongside fellow Swede Henrik Zetterberg, another seemingly symbolic gesture that he’s fitting into the new mix and forcing old faces out.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)