Aug 30, 2013, 11:01 AM EDT
Although the 2013 campaign is one that the Philadelphia Flyers will be eager to put behind them, it wasn’t completely devoid of positives. Through the hardships, some players were able to step up and two of the most prominent examples of that were forwards Wayne Simmonds and Jakub Voracek.
The Flyers acquired Voracek from the Columbus Blue Jackets in the summer of 2011 as part of the Jeff Carter deal and he posted 49 points in his debut season with Philadelphia. He got off to an unremarkable start in 2013, but he eventually developed some on-ice chemistry with Claude Giroux.
Voracek heated up in February and never looked back, scoring a career-high 22 goals and 46 points in 48 games. He also fired 129 shots at the net, which would have been on pace for a career-high had 2013 been a normal 82-game campaign and found the back of the net a remarkable 17.1% of the time.
The 24-year-old is likely to start the new season on the Flyers’ top line. Whether or not he can come close to replicating that level of success remains to be seen, but he’s locked up for another three years with an annual cap hit of $4.25 million and has the potential to make that price look like a steal.
Like Voracek, Simmonds is a young forward that Philadelphia acquired in the summer of 2011, this time in the Mike Richards trade with the Los Angeles Kings. Simmonds already set new career-highs in 2011-12 with 28 goals and 49 points in 82 games. Still, he was even better last season from a points per game perspective with 15 goals and 17 assists in 45 games.
Simmonds plays with a physical edge and it’s that blend of grit and skill that makes him so valuable to Philadelphia. He turned 25 on Monday and is looking forward to a long career with the Flyers. He’ll be starting his six-year, $23.85 million contract in 2013-14.
Philadelphia is certainly a team with areas of concern, but its offense is strong and should remain so for years to come. Simmonds and Voracek are two of the reasons why.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 19
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)