Aug 30, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
Update: Apparently the Ottawa Citizen was re-invited to the show, so PHT will put something together on it once a review sprouts up on Saturday.
You know what they say: athletes want to be musicians/actors/etc. and vice versa. Ideally, these urges manifest themselves in the funniest ways possible, which can be seen most notably in Shaq’s off-the-court ventures.
It remains to be seen if Mika Zibanejad‘s work will lean more toward Carl Lewis or the late Wayman Tisdale, but either way, the Ottawa Senators prospect is nervously anticipating his DJ session at 11:30 p.m. ET on Friday.
The 20-year-old admitted as much to the Ottawa Citizen.
“I think if you’re not nervous, you’re not excited for it,” Zibanejad says. “It will be more nerve-racking once I stand there and people are watching. Right now, I am just trying to calm myself down and save the stress and nerves for later.”
As the flyer he posted on his Twitter page can attest, he’s going by Z-Bad.
A few notes:
- “Pour it up” seems like a strange request. Is this some sort of anti-gravity bar?
- Z-Bad isn’t the worst DJ name imaginable, but let’s throw out a few other ideas. He could play on his last name and number (Z-93) or the challenges that come with spelling his last name (Copy-Paste). Feel free to come up with much better ideas in the comments.
- Far beyond comic/ribbing from teammate potential, the best thing to come from this is that it will benefit the Ottawa Boys & Girls Club.
- Sadly, the Ottawa Citizen won’t be around to review his set, so hopefully others will be on the scene.
- It’s unlikely we’ll see future Z-Bad sessions soon, as he told the Citizen that he probably won’t perform during the season.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)