Aug 30, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
Teemu Selanne isn’t leaving the NHL. Not yet anyways.
The 43-year-old forward has announced that he will return for one final season with the Anaheim Ducks. That’s a decision that wasn’t easy for him to come to and after such a long wait, he decided to make his reveal as memorable as possible by filming this video of him trying his hand at golf:
Plenty of fans will appreciate the humor on display there and Ducks supporters will be particularly happy with the price he agreed to, given the team’s salary cap constraints. He is set to earn $2 million in 2013-14, according to the Orange County Register’s Eric Stephens.
Selanne has nothing left to prove after getting his name on the Stanley Cup and enjoying years of success and longevity. At the same time, he does have some major milestones and feats that he could still accomplish.
He’s just 39 points shy of becoming the first player to ever record 1,000 points in a Ducks uniform and he could surpass some past greats in the NHL’s all-time goals leaderboard, including Mario Lemieux, Steve Yzerman, and Mark Messier.
On top of that, this will give him one last shot at an Olympic gold medal with Team Finland. And, of course, one last shot at recapturing the Stanley Cup.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)