Aug 30, 2013, 3:32 PM EST
Teemu Selanne isn’t leaving the NHL. Not yet anyways.
The 43-year-old forward has announced that he will return for one final season with the Anaheim Ducks. That’s a decision that wasn’t easy for him to come to and after such a long wait, he decided to make his reveal as memorable as possible by filming this video of him trying his hand at golf:
Plenty of fans will appreciate the humor on display there and Ducks supporters will be particularly happy with the price he agreed to, given the team’s salary cap constraints. He is set to earn $2 million in 2013-14, according to the Orange County Register’s Eric Stephens.
Selanne has nothing left to prove after getting his name on the Stanley Cup and enjoying years of success and longevity. At the same time, he does have some major milestones and feats that he could still accomplish.
He’s just 39 points shy of becoming the first player to ever record 1,000 points in a Ducks uniform and he could surpass some past greats in the NHL’s all-time goals leaderboard, including Mario Lemieux, Steve Yzerman, and Mark Messier.
On top of that, this will give him one last shot at an Olympic gold medal with Team Finland. And, of course, one last shot at recapturing the Stanley Cup.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 53
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)