Aug 30, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
Teemu Selanne isn’t leaving the NHL. Not yet anyways.
The 43-year-old forward has announced that he will return for one final season with the Anaheim Ducks. That’s a decision that wasn’t easy for him to come to and after such a long wait, he decided to make his reveal as memorable as possible by filming this video of him trying his hand at golf:
Plenty of fans will appreciate the humor on display there and Ducks supporters will be particularly happy with the price he agreed to, given the team’s salary cap constraints. He is set to earn $2 million in 2013-14, according to the Orange County Register’s Eric Stephens.
Selanne has nothing left to prove after getting his name on the Stanley Cup and enjoying years of success and longevity. At the same time, he does have some major milestones and feats that he could still accomplish.
He’s just 39 points shy of becoming the first player to ever record 1,000 points in a Ducks uniform and he could surpass some past greats in the NHL’s all-time goals leaderboard, including Mario Lemieux, Steve Yzerman, and Mark Messier.
On top of that, this will give him one last shot at an Olympic gold medal with Team Finland. And, of course, one last shot at recapturing the Stanley Cup.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 15
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)