Aug 30, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
Teemu Selanne isn’t leaving the NHL. Not yet anyways.
The 43-year-old forward has announced that he will return for one final season with the Anaheim Ducks. That’s a decision that wasn’t easy for him to come to and after such a long wait, he decided to make his reveal as memorable as possible by filming this video of him trying his hand at golf:
Plenty of fans will appreciate the humor on display there and Ducks supporters will be particularly happy with the price he agreed to, given the team’s salary cap constraints. He is set to earn $2 million in 2013-14, according to the Orange County Register’s Eric Stephens.
Selanne has nothing left to prove after getting his name on the Stanley Cup and enjoying years of success and longevity. At the same time, he does have some major milestones and feats that he could still accomplish.
He’s just 39 points shy of becoming the first player to ever record 1,000 points in a Ducks uniform and he could surpass some past greats in the NHL’s all-time goals leaderboard, including Mario Lemieux, Steve Yzerman, and Mark Messier.
On top of that, this will give him one last shot at an Olympic gold medal with Team Finland. And, of course, one last shot at recapturing the Stanley Cup.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)