Aug 30, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
Teemu Selanne isn’t leaving the NHL. Not yet anyways.
The 43-year-old forward has announced that he will return for one final season with the Anaheim Ducks. That’s a decision that wasn’t easy for him to come to and after such a long wait, he decided to make his reveal as memorable as possible by filming this video of him trying his hand at golf:
Plenty of fans will appreciate the humor on display there and Ducks supporters will be particularly happy with the price he agreed to, given the team’s salary cap constraints. He is set to earn $2 million in 2013-14, according to the Orange County Register’s Eric Stephens.
Selanne has nothing left to prove after getting his name on the Stanley Cup and enjoying years of success and longevity. At the same time, he does have some major milestones and feats that he could still accomplish.
He’s just 39 points shy of becoming the first player to ever record 1,000 points in a Ducks uniform and he could surpass some past greats in the NHL’s all-time goals leaderboard, including Mario Lemieux, Steve Yzerman, and Mark Messier.
On top of that, this will give him one last shot at an Olympic gold medal with Team Finland. And, of course, one last shot at recapturing the Stanley Cup.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)