Aug 30, 2013, 6:02 PM EDT
Teemu Selanne ranked a love for the game and urge to represent Finland in the 2014 Winter Olympics among the many reasons why he decided to give it one more go in 2013-14. He also mapped out some clear team-based goals for the Anaheim Ducks on Friday.
Most specifically, he noted that losing to the Detroit Red Wings in Game 7 of their first-round series left the team stinging, motivating the 43-year-old to finish his career on a high note, as the team’s Twitter feed reports.
“I really feel there is unfinished business and we have a better team than that. Everyone in that locker room feels that way,” Selanne said. “We have so many good things going on right now. That’s why I’m here. I’m hungry to win again.”
“The Finnish Flash” told the OC Register’s Eric Stephens that he had a “very open” meeting with head coach Bruce Boudreau, clearing up what kind of role he can expect to play with Anaheim next season.
Hearing some bold words from Selanne must be heartening both to Ducks fans and management after a summer wondering if their star would give the hockey world one more year.
More Selanne stuff
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 60
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 35
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 31
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 19
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)