Aug 30, 2013, 6:02 PM EDT
Teemu Selanne ranked a love for the game and urge to represent Finland in the 2014 Winter Olympics among the many reasons why he decided to give it one more go in 2013-14. He also mapped out some clear team-based goals for the Anaheim Ducks on Friday.
Most specifically, he noted that losing to the Detroit Red Wings in Game 7 of their first-round series left the team stinging, motivating the 43-year-old to finish his career on a high note, as the team’s Twitter feed reports.
“I really feel there is unfinished business and we have a better team than that. Everyone in that locker room feels that way,” Selanne said. “We have so many good things going on right now. That’s why I’m here. I’m hungry to win again.”
“The Finnish Flash” told the OC Register’s Eric Stephens that he had a “very open” meeting with head coach Bruce Boudreau, clearing up what kind of role he can expect to play with Anaheim next season.
Hearing some bold words from Selanne must be heartening both to Ducks fans and management after a summer wondering if their star would give the hockey world one more year.
More Selanne stuff
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head 24
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 2
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 32
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 84
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (84)