Aug 30, 2013, 1:06 PM EST
Andrej Sekera was drafted by the Buffalo Sabres in 2004 and played in 339 NHL games with the organization. Still, the 27-year-old defenseman is eager to focus on looking forward after being shipped to the Carolina Hurricanes over the summer.
“The way the business is, it’s always in your head that it could happen,” Sekera told the News & Observer. “I got traded. No big deal. Life goes on.
“I’m happy to start with a clean slate here and try to prove something to myself and to the team, too.”
The Hurricanes wanted to get a top-four defenseman this summer and Sekera figures to fit into that role. Although he’s not the most flashy of players, as Hurricanes captain Eric Staal pointed out, he is an all-around solid blueliner.
This figures to be an eventful season for Sekera. He was part of Slovakia’s 2010 Olympic team that finished in fourth place and hopes to rejoin them in 2014.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 2
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 12
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 45
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)