Aug 30, 2013, 1:06 PM EDT
Andrej Sekera was drafted by the Buffalo Sabres in 2004 and played in 339 NHL games with the organization. Still, the 27-year-old defenseman is eager to focus on looking forward after being shipped to the Carolina Hurricanes over the summer.
“The way the business is, it’s always in your head that it could happen,” Sekera told the News & Observer. “I got traded. No big deal. Life goes on.
“I’m happy to start with a clean slate here and try to prove something to myself and to the team, too.”
The Hurricanes wanted to get a top-four defenseman this summer and Sekera figures to fit into that role. Although he’s not the most flashy of players, as Hurricanes captain Eric Staal pointed out, he is an all-around solid blueliner.
This figures to be an eventful season for Sekera. He was part of Slovakia’s 2010 Olympic team that finished in fourth place and hopes to rejoin them in 2014.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 16
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 62
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)