Aug 30, 2013, 8:52 PM EDT
Whether you blame the players, the front office or several other factors, the bottom line is that the 2013 campaign was a disaster for the Philadelphia Flyers. GM Paul Holmgren and head coach Peter Laviolette survived that wretched season with their jobs intact, but it’s tough to imagine them surviving if 2013-14 is similarly dour.
Let’s look at each front office member’s situation.
Holmgren might be running low on chances
It’s tough not to place a lot of the blame on Holmgren.
After all, many of his home run swings have actually turned out to be big whiffs. Huge transactions often involve coaches and other staff members, yet in the minds of many, the Ilya Bryzgalov train wreck and other gaffes have Holmgren’s stamp on it.
As often as Philly seems to pull about-faces personnel-wise, the team’s actually been fairly patient with general managers. Still, there’s a key difference (beyond money wasted buying out Bryzgalov and Danny Briere) this summer: they hired potential heir apparent Ron Hextall as assistant GM.
Laviolette tasked with a challenge
While he isn’t often mentioned among the NHL’s elite coaches, Laviolette has done some great things in his stints with the Flyers and Carolina Hurricanes, going 1-for-2 in Stanley Cup Final appearances.
Fair or not, this could be a make-or-break season for the opinionated bench boss after some rumblings in 2013.
He was fired during his fifth season with Carolina and enters season No. 5 with Philly, although two of those campaigns were for fewer than 82 games.
The Flyers are among the league’s biggest spending team and they’re certainly not afraid to make big moves. That can be a double-edged sword for coaches and general managers, as Holmgren and Laviolette might find out if the team suffers through another dud.
More Flyers Day content
Sep 23, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
Tough preseason contest for Philly’s No.1 goalie.
Sep 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Latest update: He’s on crutches and it might not be knee-related.
Sep 23, 2014, 9:56 PM EDT
This post will include updates if they’re made available.
Sep 23, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Buffalo holds him out for the rest of the game.
Sep 23, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT
He’s straightforward about it, at least.
Sep 23, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
Vladimir Sobotka might say that’s actually a big gap, though.
Sep 23, 2014, 6:36 PM EDT
The jump to Xbox One and Playstation 4 has been bumpy.
Sep 23, 2014, 5:29 PM EDT
“It’s nothing new to me.”
Sep 23, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
That was quick.
Sep 23, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Sep 23, 2014, 3:58 PM EDT
So, you know, hurry up and sign, kid.
Sep 23, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
And Erik Karlsson’s the favorite to win the Norris.
Sep 23, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
Which will reportedly begin in September of 2016.
Sep 23, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
First part of the two-part series starts in December.
Sep 23, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Sep 23, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Who will Ted Nolan choose?
Sep 23, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Courtesy a Beau Bennett high stick.
Sep 23, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
Incident occurred during last night’s win over the Rangers.
Sep 23, 2014, 10:36 AM EDT
Lightning rookie will miss at least the first few games of the regular season.
Sep 23, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
He’s establishing what he expects early.
- Carolina is ‘concerned’ about Jordan Staal, who was helped off the ice 1
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)