Aug 30, 2013, 8:52 PM EST
Whether you blame the players, the front office or several other factors, the bottom line is that the 2013 campaign was a disaster for the Philadelphia Flyers. GM Paul Holmgren and head coach Peter Laviolette survived that wretched season with their jobs intact, but it’s tough to imagine them surviving if 2013-14 is similarly dour.
Let’s look at each front office member’s situation.
Holmgren might be running low on chances
It’s tough not to place a lot of the blame on Holmgren.
After all, many of his home run swings have actually turned out to be big whiffs. Huge transactions often involve coaches and other staff members, yet in the minds of many, the Ilya Bryzgalov train wreck and other gaffes have Holmgren’s stamp on it.
As often as Philly seems to pull about-faces personnel-wise, the team’s actually been fairly patient with general managers. Still, there’s a key difference (beyond money wasted buying out Bryzgalov and Danny Briere) this summer: they hired potential heir apparent Ron Hextall as assistant GM.
Laviolette tasked with a challenge
While he isn’t often mentioned among the NHL’s elite coaches, Laviolette has done some great things in his stints with the Flyers and Carolina Hurricanes, going 1-for-2 in Stanley Cup Final appearances.
Fair or not, this could be a make-or-break season for the opinionated bench boss after some rumblings in 2013.
He was fired during his fifth season with Carolina and enters season No. 5 with Philly, although two of those campaigns were for fewer than 82 games.
The Flyers are among the league’s biggest spending team and they’re certainly not afraid to make big moves. That can be a double-edged sword for coaches and general managers, as Holmgren and Laviolette might find out if the team suffers through another dud.
More Flyers Day content
Jan 27, 2015, 8:05 PM EST
The Philly starter allowed two goals on the first four shots.
Jan 27, 2015, 7:35 PM EST
Jim Benning was “exploring” a trade for the goaltender.
Jan 27, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
Appeared in 1,260 games.
Jan 27, 2015, 6:30 PM EST
Tampa has won both meetings between the two clubs this season.
Jan 27, 2015, 5:41 PM EST
7:30 p.m. ET, from PNC Arena, on NBCSN.
Jan 27, 2015, 5:06 PM EST
“There’s a potential even to bring him to Arizona for at least a cup of coffee at the end of the year.”
Jan 27, 2015, 4:26 PM EST
For the old barn in Anaheim.
Jan 27, 2015, 3:33 PM EST
He’ll play on the top line with John Tavares and Josh Bailey against the Rangers.
Jan 27, 2015, 3:11 PM EST
Kick off six straight games at Rogers Arena tonight versus Anaheim.
Goalie nods: Greiss starts for Pens, which has nothing to do with Fleury getting lit up at the All-Star Game
Jan 27, 2015, 2:27 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Jan 27, 2015, 2:20 PM EST
“We know what the standings look like. That’s no secret. But we can’t make up all those points this week.”
Jan 27, 2015, 1:38 PM EST
We already knew he tried to use Seattle for the same purpose.
Jan 27, 2015, 1:23 PM EST
And so ends one of the most storied goaltending careers in NHL history.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:56 PM EST
Bill Peters sounds fed up.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:35 PM EST
Defending champs are just 20-15-12 after 47 games.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:28 PM EST
After failing to find a trade partner for the 28-year-old.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:17 PM EST
Your move, Los Angeles.
Jan 27, 2015, 11:47 AM EST
“He wants to build for the long term and he understands that there is some suffering involved.”
Jan 27, 2015, 11:43 AM EST
Bob Murray wants a defenseman, according to pretty much everyone.
Jan 27, 2015, 11:12 AM EST
The worst of the storm was saved for New England.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 37
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)