Aug 30, 2013, 8:52 PM EDT
Whether you blame the players, the front office or several other factors, the bottom line is that the 2013 campaign was a disaster for the Philadelphia Flyers. GM Paul Holmgren and head coach Peter Laviolette survived that wretched season with their jobs intact, but it’s tough to imagine them surviving if 2013-14 is similarly dour.
Let’s look at each front office member’s situation.
Holmgren might be running low on chances
It’s tough not to place a lot of the blame on Holmgren.
After all, many of his home run swings have actually turned out to be big whiffs. Huge transactions often involve coaches and other staff members, yet in the minds of many, the Ilya Bryzgalov train wreck and other gaffes have Holmgren’s stamp on it.
As often as Philly seems to pull about-faces personnel-wise, the team’s actually been fairly patient with general managers. Still, there’s a key difference (beyond money wasted buying out Bryzgalov and Danny Briere) this summer: they hired potential heir apparent Ron Hextall as assistant GM.
Laviolette tasked with a challenge
While he isn’t often mentioned among the NHL’s elite coaches, Laviolette has done some great things in his stints with the Flyers and Carolina Hurricanes, going 1-for-2 in Stanley Cup Final appearances.
Fair or not, this could be a make-or-break season for the opinionated bench boss after some rumblings in 2013.
He was fired during his fifth season with Carolina and enters season No. 5 with Philly, although two of those campaigns were for fewer than 82 games.
The Flyers are among the league’s biggest spending team and they’re certainly not afraid to make big moves. That can be a double-edged sword for coaches and general managers, as Holmgren and Laviolette might find out if the team suffers through another dud.
More Flyers Day content
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)