Aug 30, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
While one can easily question the validity of the rumors, at some point this summer, the most anxious of Anaheim Ducks fans pondered two unsettling possibilities: Teemu Selanne retiring or playing for a different NHL team.
Luckily, that crisis was averted, as the 43-year-old icon announced (via charmingly funny video) that he’ll finish things off with a victory tour 2013-14 season in Anaheim.
To little surprise, both sides seem relieved that it’s happening this way, as the team’s Web site reports.
“I’m so happy to be back,” Selanne said. “I’ve always wanted to finish my career in Anaheim, and I plan on making it count.”
GM Bob Murray agrees in full.
“It’s great to have Teemu back. He clearly still has passion for the game and can’t wait to get started,” Murray said. “We are so pleased that Teemu will end his career where he belongs.”
Some of his friends are already weighing in on Twitter.
Former teammate Brad May was clearly excited on Friday.
Congratulations to my buddy Teemu Selanne for agreeing to come back this year to Anaheim What a great guy and family! See you soon my friend
— Brad May (@maydayhockey) August 30, 2013
— Dustin Penner (@Dustinpenner25) August 30, 2013
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)