Aug 30, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
While one can easily question the validity of the rumors, at some point this summer, the most anxious of Anaheim Ducks fans pondered two unsettling possibilities: Teemu Selanne retiring or playing for a different NHL team.
Luckily, that crisis was averted, as the 43-year-old icon announced (via charmingly funny video) that he’ll finish things off with a victory tour 2013-14 season in Anaheim.
To little surprise, both sides seem relieved that it’s happening this way, as the team’s Web site reports.
“I’m so happy to be back,” Selanne said. “I’ve always wanted to finish my career in Anaheim, and I plan on making it count.”
GM Bob Murray agrees in full.
“It’s great to have Teemu back. He clearly still has passion for the game and can’t wait to get started,” Murray said. “We are so pleased that Teemu will end his career where he belongs.”
Some of his friends are already weighing in on Twitter.
Former teammate Brad May was clearly excited on Friday.
Congratulations to my buddy Teemu Selanne for agreeing to come back this year to Anaheim What a great guy and family! See you soon my friend
— Brad May (@maydayhockey) August 30, 2013
— Dustin Penner (@Dustinpenner25) August 30, 2013
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 7
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 50
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)