Aug 30, 2013, 9:45 PM EST
While one can easily question the validity of the rumors, at some point this summer, the most anxious of Anaheim Ducks fans pondered two unsettling possibilities: Teemu Selanne retiring or playing for a different NHL team.
Luckily, that crisis was averted, as the 43-year-old icon announced (via charmingly funny video) that he’ll finish things off with a victory tour 2013-14 season in Anaheim.
To little surprise, both sides seem relieved that it’s happening this way, as the team’s Web site reports.
“I’m so happy to be back,” Selanne said. “I’ve always wanted to finish my career in Anaheim, and I plan on making it count.”
GM Bob Murray agrees in full.
“It’s great to have Teemu back. He clearly still has passion for the game and can’t wait to get started,” Murray said. “We are so pleased that Teemu will end his career where he belongs.”
Some of his friends are already weighing in on Twitter.
Former teammate Brad May was clearly excited on Friday.
Congratulations to my buddy Teemu Selanne for agreeing to come back this year to Anaheim What a great guy and family! See you soon my friend
— Brad May (@maydayhockey) August 30, 2013
— Dustin Penner (@Dustinpenner25) August 30, 2013
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (58)