Aug 30, 2013, 9:45 PM EST
While one can easily question the validity of the rumors, at some point this summer, the most anxious of Anaheim Ducks fans pondered two unsettling possibilities: Teemu Selanne retiring or playing for a different NHL team.
Luckily, that crisis was averted, as the 43-year-old icon announced (via charmingly funny video) that he’ll finish things off with a victory tour 2013-14 season in Anaheim.
To little surprise, both sides seem relieved that it’s happening this way, as the team’s Web site reports.
“I’m so happy to be back,” Selanne said. “I’ve always wanted to finish my career in Anaheim, and I plan on making it count.”
GM Bob Murray agrees in full.
“It’s great to have Teemu back. He clearly still has passion for the game and can’t wait to get started,” Murray said. “We are so pleased that Teemu will end his career where he belongs.”
Some of his friends are already weighing in on Twitter.
Former teammate Brad May was clearly excited on Friday.
Congratulations to my buddy Teemu Selanne for agreeing to come back this year to Anaheim What a great guy and family! See you soon my friend
— Brad May (@maydayhockey) August 30, 2013
— Dustin Penner (@Dustinpenner25) August 30, 2013
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)