Aug 30, 2013, 7:18 PM EDT
NHL.com kindly shared the top 50 player ratings for EA Sports’ upcoming NHL 14 title on Friday, so that naturally opens the door for outrage and excitement.
Obviously, the first few guys represent familiar faces, with Sidney Crosby and Pavel Datsyuk tied for the highest (active) player ratings at 95 each. Here’s a screenshot of each players ratings, so you can dispute someone’s speed or hand-eye coordination in the comments:
In a move that shouldn’t upset many, Zdeno Chara was pegged as the top-rated defenseman at 94.
It’s pretty tough to quibble with those choices. Still, there are a few surprises and worthy notes, such as:
- To the chagrin of the Nashville Predators, Ryan Suter carries the same 92-rating as Shea Weber.
- Marian Gaborik‘s 90 trumps many players who had better 2013 seasons, including John Tavares and Patrice Bergeron (both are 89′s). Of course, you can turn off groin injuries in video games.
- Brent Seabrook‘s 89 bests Patrick Kane‘s 88. Call it the power of Seven.
- The 88 rating presents some surprises. The last two Norris Trophy winners (P.K. Subban and Erik Karlsson) carry that rating while Jamie Benn, Jakub Voracek and Dustin Byfuglien also fall in that range. All are strong players, but those marks could cause some debate.
Anyway, more fun can be found at NHL.com, and we’ll keep an eye out for some divisive ratings when the game hits North America on Sept. 10 (and worldwide on Sept. 13).
Apr 18, 2014, 2:27 AM EDT
But it’s one game.
Apr 18, 2014, 1:37 AM EDT
Apr 18, 2014, 1:21 AM EDT
Things got interesting in the third period.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:53 AM EDT
Apr 18, 2014, 12:46 AM EDT
Yeah, not a good night for him.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:46 AM EDT
This game may take a lot out of both teams.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:41 AM EDT
Colorado erases two-goal deficit to send it to extra time.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:07 AM EDT
It at least seems like Jonathan Toews is shaking off bumps and bruises.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:54 PM EDT
That was fast.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
He had a big night.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:22 PM EDT
These teams don’t like each other.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:58 PM EDT
The Blues forward is usually the aggressor.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:47 PM EDT
Opting to go with Mike Brown instead.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
He’ll remember that one.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Battle of California.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:18 PM EDT
Stating the obvious.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:58 PM EDT
Could this be a key one?
Apr 17, 2014, 9:42 PM EDT
A cap hit of $7.5 million this season.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Carl Hagelin’s face haunts Philly in Game 1.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:26 PM EDT
Did you hear Patrick Roy’s playing career ended against the Wild?
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39