Aug 30, 2013, 7:18 PM EDT
NHL.com kindly shared the top 50 player ratings for EA Sports’ upcoming NHL 14 title on Friday, so that naturally opens the door for outrage and excitement.
Obviously, the first few guys represent familiar faces, with Sidney Crosby and Pavel Datsyuk tied for the highest (active) player ratings at 95 each. Here’s a screenshot of each players ratings, so you can dispute someone’s speed or hand-eye coordination in the comments:
In a move that shouldn’t upset many, Zdeno Chara was pegged as the top-rated defenseman at 94.
It’s pretty tough to quibble with those choices. Still, there are a few surprises and worthy notes, such as:
- To the chagrin of the Nashville Predators, Ryan Suter carries the same 92-rating as Shea Weber.
- Marian Gaborik‘s 90 trumps many players who had better 2013 seasons, including John Tavares and Patrice Bergeron (both are 89’s). Of course, you can turn off groin injuries in video games.
- Brent Seabrook‘s 89 bests Patrick Kane‘s 88. Call it the power of Seven.
- The 88 rating presents some surprises. The last two Norris Trophy winners (P.K. Subban and Erik Karlsson) carry that rating while Jamie Benn, Jakub Voracek and Dustin Byfuglien also fall in that range. All are strong players, but those marks could cause some debate.
Anyway, more fun can be found at NHL.com, and we’ll keep an eye out for some divisive ratings when the game hits North America on Sept. 10 (and worldwide on Sept. 13).
Jul 22, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Jul 22, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Also went to bat for Jumbo Joe.
Jul 22, 2014, 12:27 PM EDT
Coming off an impressive rookie season.
Jul 22, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
How ’bout that headline for some alliteration.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
His name is Kyle Dubas.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Click for the full schedule of games on NBC and NBCSN.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:19 AM EDT
Had 14 goals and 15 assists, with 209 PIM, in 2013-14.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT
Excited to join “the toughest team” the Leafs played last season,
Jul 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They didn’t make any big splashes this summer.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
That and all the links to start your day.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
He does know what the advanced stats say though.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
More depth for a Stanley Cup hopeful.
Jul 21, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
Trade rumors around the Jets star never stop swirling.
Jul 21, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Mike Johnston is going out of his way to know his players.
Jul 21, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
But hasn’t been charged with a crime.
Jul 21, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Edmonton’s 2014 first-round pick wants to stick around right away.
Jul 21, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
He becomes an unrestricted free agent if he isn’t signed by Aug. 15.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:18 PM EDT
(He’s the tall one in the middle.)
Jul 21, 2014, 2:21 PM EDT
“That’s an exciting guy to watch.”
Jul 21, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
“There are many reasons, but I do not want to go into details,” she said in a statement.
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 18
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 38
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 59
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 55
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (59)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)