Aug 30, 2013, 7:18 PM EDT
NHL.com kindly shared the top 50 player ratings for EA Sports’ upcoming NHL 14 title on Friday, so that naturally opens the door for outrage and excitement.
Obviously, the first few guys represent familiar faces, with Sidney Crosby and Pavel Datsyuk tied for the highest (active) player ratings at 95 each. Here’s a screenshot of each players ratings, so you can dispute someone’s speed or hand-eye coordination in the comments:
In a move that shouldn’t upset many, Zdeno Chara was pegged as the top-rated defenseman at 94.
It’s pretty tough to quibble with those choices. Still, there are a few surprises and worthy notes, such as:
- To the chagrin of the Nashville Predators, Ryan Suter carries the same 92-rating as Shea Weber.
- Marian Gaborik‘s 90 trumps many players who had better 2013 seasons, including John Tavares and Patrice Bergeron (both are 89’s). Of course, you can turn off groin injuries in video games.
- Brent Seabrook‘s 89 bests Patrick Kane‘s 88. Call it the power of Seven.
- The 88 rating presents some surprises. The last two Norris Trophy winners (P.K. Subban and Erik Karlsson) carry that rating while Jamie Benn, Jakub Voracek and Dustin Byfuglien also fall in that range. All are strong players, but those marks could cause some debate.
Anyway, more fun can be found at NHL.com, and we’ll keep an eye out for some divisive ratings when the game hits North America on Sept. 10 (and worldwide on Sept. 13).
Apr 1, 2015, 10:56 AM EDT
Vancouver forward was given a five-minute interference major on the play.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
Caps Radio 24/7 provides “a sense of community among our fan base, with players and fans alike contributing to its content.”
Apr 1, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Understatement: the odds are against both teams.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:37 AM EDT
Philly’s beaten its local rival six times in a row.
Apr 1, 2015, 8:36 AM EDT
Also: Alex Ovechkin’s peerless goal-scoring work and other links.
Apr 1, 2015, 1:41 AM EDT
Could the Vancouver forward be facing further discipline from the league?
Apr 1, 2015, 1:17 AM EDT
Tampa Bay is in a battle for the Atlantic Division.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:40 AM EDT
No call on that play.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:04 AM EDT
That’s big for Ottawa.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:31 PM EDT
This was an eventful game.
Mar 31, 2015, 10:57 PM EDT
Could supplemental discipline be on the way?
Mar 31, 2015, 10:09 PM EDT
Florida had the lead in the third period.
Mar 31, 2015, 9:38 PM EDT
Could Vancouver’s veteran defenseman be looking at a suspension?
Mar 31, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Scored 32 goals in 37 games this season.
Mar 31, 2015, 8:13 PM EDT
Mar 31, 2015, 7:59 PM EDT
Joins Bossy, Gretzky, Dionne, Lafleur and Lemieux.
Mar 31, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
3rd-round pick if it happens after the season, 2nd-rounder if it happens in-season.
Mar 31, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT
University of Minnesota blueliner inching closer to free agency.
Mar 31, 2015, 6:41 PM EDT
So the Hart will not, as some have suggested, become the Gretzky.
Mar 31, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
Blackhawks duo “had a good thing going.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 8
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 55
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 17
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8