Aug 30, 2013, 2:02 PM EDT
We’re finally starting the enter the buildup towards the 2013-14 campaign and one of the first major events along the way will be the rookie camps.
The Boston Bruins’ prospects will start with off-ice testing on Wednesday and then head to Coral Springs, Florida on Thursday for matches against other organizations’ best rookies.
Among those expected to participate for the Bruins is Malcolm Subban. The 19-year-old goaltender has tons of potential and this will be a good early test for him. He is projected to start his pro career in the AHL this season and the door has been left open for him to possibly snatch the backup goaltending gig in Boston as early as 2014-15.
Forwards Ryan Spooner and Jared Knight are two other highly regarded prospects that will be trying to set themselves apart during the camp.
One noteworthy absence from the group is 20-year-old defenseman Joe Morrow, who was traded from Pittsburgh to Dallas and then the Stars to Bruins in a pair of blockbuster deals this year. It’s unclear at this time why he wasn’t included, but it was the team’s decision, according to Kirk Luedeke.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 20
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 13
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)