Aug 29, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
“I know Danny really well,” Stars goalie coach Mike Valley told the team website. “He’s the type of guy that really understands his role and knows at the same time that his job is to come in and push Kari.
“He has that level of professionalism. He’s been a No. 1 guy, he’s been a No. 2. We’re confident in him.”
Ellis does have some No. 1 experience — he won 23 games for Nashville in 2007-08 and led the team to the playoffs — but he’s been primarily a backup since then, never appearing in more than 35 games in a single season. He struggled as a No. 1 last year in Carolina when Cam Ward went down to injury.
It would also take a serious misstep or injury for Lehtonen to lose the starter’s gig.
The 29-year-old Finn has been the team’s clear-cut No. 1 in each of the last three seasons though, to be fair, there wasn’t much pushing him from behind (Andrew Raycroft, Richard Bachman and Christopher Nihlstorp.)
Ellis says he’s ready for whatever the upcoming season brings.
“I am comfortable everywhere, even going back to the AHL last year during the lockout, playing as a backup, as a 1A or a 1B or playing as a starter,” Ellis said. “I’ve had the opportunity to do them all and I am comfortable anywhere.”
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 6
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 27
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Harding’s diving save highlights Wild’s win 5
- Varlamov expected to enter plea on Jan. 22 7
- Malkin named NHL’s first star for second straight week 9
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Video: Malkin, Penguins win wild, controversial one over Leafs (40)
- ‘It’s like Groundhog Day’: Schneider frustrated about backing up Brodeur (35)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Red Wings challenge division-leading Bruins (32)