Aug 29, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
Darren Helm says his wonky back is feeling better and he hasn’t suffered any setbacks.
What he’s not saying, though, is when he’ll return to the Detroit lineup.
“I’m not thinking about it. I’m just trying to get better,” Helm told MLive.com on Thursday. “I’m not putting a time line on opening the season.
“I’m just trying to get better.”
Helm, 26, suffered through a disastrous 2013 campaign after hurting his back during the lockout. The injury forced him to miss all but one game and the entire postseason, despite the fact he spent the majority of the year rehabbing to try and get back on the ice.
The new plan, Helm says, is to go at a more comfortable pace and ease back into the lineup — meaning however long it takes is however long it takes.
“I did want to get back for last year, but with no real reason of why I had back pain it made me push harder and harder to work through it,” he explained. “Now, things are going well, I want to keep it at this pace and when I’m ready I’m ready.”
Getting Helm back for the regular season — which starts Oct. 2 at home against Buffalo — will be huge for the Wings. Detroit head coach Mike Babcock has often referred to Helm as “the best third-line center in the league,” and center will be a key position for the Wings this year as their new signing, Stephen Weiss, takes over for Valtteri Filppula as the No. 2 man down the middle.
Helm is also the Wings’ fastest forward and, despite is relative young age, one of the club’s most vested playoff performers. He has 65 games of postseason experience to his credit — including a Stanley Cup in 2008 — and scored a career-high six points in 11 games during the 2010-11 run.
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 23
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 14
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 2
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 54
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (56)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)