Aug 29, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
Ty Wishart is off to the Deutsche Eishockey Liga.
Wishart, San Jose’s first-round selection (16th overall) at the 2006 NHL Entry Draft, has signed a deal with the Schwenninger Wild Wings of Germany’s top hockey league, the team announced on Thursday.
The 25-year-old defenseman has spent the last three seasons with the New York Islanders organization, appearing in 21 games for the parent club while spending most of his time in AHL Bridgeport.
His biggest claim to fame is perhaps being involved in two major transactions. He was part of the Dan Boyle-to-San Jose trade in 2008 — he, along with Matt Carle and a pair of picks went to the Lightning — and was later part of the Dwayne Roloson-to-Tampa trade in 2011.
Fun fact: Wishart, who scored 67 points in 72 games in his final year of junior, was the second defenseman off the board in 2006 (the first was Erik Johnson at No. 1 overall).
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 16
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 62
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)