Aug 29, 2013, 7:20 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings will have two of their highest recent picks playing at their annual Traverse City tournament.
On Thursday, the club announced that 2010 first-rounder Riley Sheahan and 2013 first-rounder Anthony Mantha will take part in the eight-team prospect tourney to be played at Center Ice Arena from Sept. 5-9.
Sheahan, 21, is perhaps best known for an incident last year in which he was arrested for “super-drunk” driving while carrying a teammate’s ID and wearing a purple Teletubby costume (click the link, it’ll all make sense.)
He’s reportedly stopped drinking since the incident and was called up by Detroit last April, playing 6:47 in a 1-0 loss to St. Louis.
Mantha, 18, was taken 20th overall at the ’13 Entry Draft, Detroit’s highest pick since taking Sheahan 21st overall (prior to Sheahan, the club’s highest pick was Jakub Kindl at No. 19 in 2005.)
While he’s a longshot to make the club, Mantha turned some heads in late July by saying he planned on making the NHL this season.
“For sure it is,” he told MLive.com, when asked if his mentality was NHL or bust for 2013-14. “If you go around the room and ask every player, I’m not sure there’s one that will tell you that’s not their goal.”
At 6-foot-4, 190 pounds, Mantha has good size. He’s also coming off a season in which he led the Quebec league in goals (50). Those two things are probably big reasons why he’s exuding confidence heading into Traverse City.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 68
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 32
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 22
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)