Vanek: ‘I didn’t ask to be traded’

Aug 28, 2013, 3:55 PM EDT

Thomas Vanek Getty Images

Sabres fans might be able to breathe a little easier today. Thomas Vanek isn’t looking to be traded.

Vanek spoke with reporters in Buffalo and said he has no idea where the talk of him wanting to be moved came from and that he’s happy to wait and see what the season brings. WGR’s Paul Hamilton shares the story.

“I never asked to be traded so when people do mention it, I’m surprised. Did I think I was going to get traded, no because I never once went in there and said I don’t want to be here. I said, ‘Right now I’m not looking for an extension, but not saying that I wouldn’t want one down the road, but right now I just want to see where it goes’.”

All right, so maybe breathing easier won’t totally happen, but at the very least Vanek isn’t looking to get out of town right away. He is set to become an unrestricted free agent next summer and he said he wants to keep his options open. One thing he’s said is he doesn’t want to stick around for a long rebuild.

GM Darcy Regier’s options are to either extend him or deal him before the deadline before possibly losing him for nothing. That’s the same situation goalie Ryan Miller is in as well. If either player is to be moved, plenty of teams will want in on them for the right price.

Related: Vanek preparing for season in Buffalo, but admits situation not ‘best-case scenario’

Latest Posts
  1. Columbus reacts to Horton (back) being out indefinitely

Sep 18, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

Dallas Stars v Columbus Blue Jackets Getty Images

At least the Blue Jackets’ GM is ruling out surgery.

2. Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’

Sep 18, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT

Toronto Maple Leafs v Philadelphia Flyers Getty Images

He’ll miss at least months, GM Ron Hextall said.

3. Jagr: ‘I want to play until 50′

Sep 18, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT

Jaromir Jagr, Travis Zajac AP

Hey, he’s got less than eight years to go.

4. Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks

Sep 18, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT

Willie Desjardins AP

“I don’t think I had a conversation with Torts until Christmas last year.”

5. Silent Blue: Armstrong will no longer comment on Schwartz

Sep 18, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT

Doug Armstrong AP

“The next time I’ll talk publicly about Jaden is when we sign him.”

6. Rangers to name new captain at end of camp

Sep 18, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT

McDonagh

And it’s probably going to be Ryan McDonagh.

7. Eakin, Dillon still without contracts in Dallas

Sep 18, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT

Cody Eakin, Corey Perry AP

Two key youngsters on a Stars team with high hopes.

8. Veteran d-man Lee going to Preds camp on PTO

Sep 18, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT

Ottawa Senators v New York Islanders Getty Images

Former first-round pick missed extensive time to a torn ACL.

9. Ex-1st rounder Barker goes full circle, will attend ‘Hawks camp

Sep 18, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT

Cam Barker AP

Remember him? Taken 3rd overall in 2004… behind Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin.

10. Wings lose young sniper Mantha (6-8 weeks) to broken tibia

Sep 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT

AnthonyMantha

Tough blow for a kid looking to make the leap this season.

11. Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp

Sep 18, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT

Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin AP

Just a precautionary measure, said GM Jim Rutherford.

12. Paul Martin doesn’t expect extension anytime soon

Sep 18, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT

PITTSBURGH, PA - FEBRUARY 03: Paul Martin #7 of the Pittsburgh Penguins skates against the Ottawa Senators during the game at Consol Energy Center on February 3, 2014 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Justin K. Aller/Getty Images) Getty Images

He spent a lot of time on the sidelines last season, but Pittsburgh leaned on him heavily when he was healthy.

13. Selanne rips Boudreau in book

Sep 18, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

Teemu Selanne Getty Images

Retired Finnish star was diplomatic after being made a healthy scratch, but now he’s opening up.

14. Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen?

Sep 18, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT

Ryan Johansen AP

Is it still reasonable to believe this might have a relatively happy ending for both sides?

15. Ducks invite Yip to training camp for tryout

Sep 17, 2014, 10:48 PM EDT

Brandon Yip, Derek Forbort AP

Brendan Bell also gets a chance to impress.

16. Blue Jackets say Horton may miss start of 2014-15 season

Sep 17, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT

Columbus Blue Jackets v San Jose Sharks Getty Images

His back issues present another headache for Columbus.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches
  1. S. Crosby (1339)
  2. S. Bennett (1318)
  3. P. Rinne (1154)
  4. N. Niederreiter (1149)
  5. D. Kuemper (1098)