Aug 28, 2013, 3:55 PM EDT
Sabres fans might be able to breathe a little easier today. Thomas Vanek isn’t looking to be traded.
Vanek spoke with reporters in Buffalo and said he has no idea where the talk of him wanting to be moved came from and that he’s happy to wait and see what the season brings. WGR’s Paul Hamilton shares the story.
“I never asked to be traded so when people do mention it, I’m surprised. Did I think I was going to get traded, no because I never once went in there and said I don’t want to be here. I said, ‘Right now I’m not looking for an extension, but not saying that I wouldn’t want one down the road, but right now I just want to see where it goes’.”
All right, so maybe breathing easier won’t totally happen, but at the very least Vanek isn’t looking to get out of town right away. He is set to become an unrestricted free agent next summer and he said he wants to keep his options open. One thing he’s said is he doesn’t want to stick around for a long rebuild.
GM Darcy Regier’s options are to either extend him or deal him before the deadline before possibly losing him for nothing. That’s the same situation goalie Ryan Miller is in as well. If either player is to be moved, plenty of teams will want in on them for the right price.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)