Aug 28, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
The NHL schedule makers have a twisted sense of timing or they’re really good at having things fall into place with happenings in the league’s offseason. Case in point: The New Jersey Devils visiting the Vancouver Canucks just four games into the season on October 8.
“I don’t know if the schedule makers are doing me a favor by getting it out of the way early or playing around with me by making me do it so soon,” Schneider said. “I’m sure it will be a big story in Vancouver, but for us it can’t be a distraction. It’s got to be another game.”
Calling it a “big story in Vancouver” is putting it lightly.
With how the Roberto Luongo story has been handled there, seeing the guy who was supposed to be the new No. 1 goalie come back with a different team, it may as well be the Stanley Cup Final. Then again, it’s probably best for both players that they face each other early so the drama doesn’t get out of hand late in the year.
For what it’s worth, they’ll face each other again just 16 days later in Newark.
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 2
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 66
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)