Schneider not sure what to think of early-season return to Vancouver

Aug 28, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT

Cory Schneider AP

The NHL schedule makers have a twisted sense of timing or they’re really good at having things fall into place with happenings in the league’s offseason. Case in point: The New Jersey Devils visiting the Vancouver Canucks just four games into the season on October 8.

Newest Devils goalie Cory Schneider tells Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice that was the first game he took note of on the New Jersey schedule.

“I don’t know if the schedule makers are doing me a favor by getting it out of the way early or playing around with me by making me do it so soon,” Schneider said. “I’m sure it will be a big story in Vancouver, but for us it can’t be a distraction. It’s got to be another game.”

Calling it a “big story in Vancouver” is putting it lightly.

With how the Roberto Luongo story has been handled there, seeing the guy who was supposed to be the new No. 1 goalie come back with a different team, it may as well be the Stanley Cup Final. Then again, it’s probably best for both players that they face each other early so the drama doesn’t get out of hand late in the year.

For what it’s worth, they’ll face each other again just 16 days later in Newark.

1. stepanup - Aug 28, 2013 at 12:51 PM

It may be Capitals day on PHT, but the Luongo/Schneider story fails to backcheck and get involved in the play.

• endusersolutions2013 - Aug 28, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Nice!

• sunderlanding - Aug 28, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Dosen’t it succeed in backing and getting into the play? Here we are reading and commenting about it. That must mean it’s in the play.

2. hockey412 - Aug 28, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I doubt Schneider will be in net anyway, though.

• 950003cups - Aug 28, 2013 at 1:54 PM

You sure? Don’t be!

It’s the next day of a back-to-back schedule. Marty will likely play in Edmonton the day before. If he has a bad game, or whatever, expect to see Cory in starting in Vancouver

• hockey412 - Aug 28, 2013 at 3:03 PM

So if you were DeBoer…you’d put him in net for that game? Sounds unlikely. Actually doesn’t sound like a good idea for a coach to put your future franchise goalie into that position, unless he wants it. But not just for a side-show.

• hockey7515 - Aug 28, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Its the second of a back to back game with edmonton. So its a 50 50 on which game he gets.

• hockey412 - Aug 28, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Unless it’s Schneider’s decision, I don’t think DeBoer would want to put his guy through that. I’m sure Bettman and the media would petition for it though.

• sunderlanding - Aug 28, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Why not? He needs to learn how to handle pressure like that.

• hockey412 - Aug 29, 2013 at 12:18 PM

bad idea…

• sunderlanding - Aug 29, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Yes let’s shelter him and treat him like a baby, so when the big game comes he doesn’t know how to handle it.

• hockey412 - Aug 29, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I think there’s a difference between treating him like a baby and making him a side-show due to the drama in Vancouver. What, as a coach, do you do with all the drama if he loses the game?

• sunderlanding - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Tell him to move on and beat them next time. What if that kind of drama should come up in the final? You’d want to make sure he’d gotten used to it.

3. 19to77 - Aug 28, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Watch as they start Brodeur in both just to troll the media.

• 950003cups - Aug 28, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Wouldn’t surprise me

4. blomfeld - Aug 28, 2013 at 3:24 PM

DIVINE INTERVENTION ?

If God has any hand in the matter (which he will), then Schneider will play and earn a shutout in a 9-0 Devil’s ‘thrashing’ of the Canucks, ‘yea me’ Luongo will be booed to no end, he’ll start crying ‘in front of men’ and then he’ll be pelted with Loonies as security tries to usher him off the ice to safety. So it will be, God willing …

• sunderlanding - Aug 28, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Well that’s pretty stupid, but what else should I expect from you.

• blomfeld - Aug 28, 2013 at 8:40 PM

I’m not going to reply to you friend, as you people are going to have the ‘devil to pay’ this coming season, no two ways about it. Besides, I learned at a young age that ‘piling on’ is both cowardly and ‘morally’ repugnant … especially at a time like this, given the ‘tsunami’ of chaos which is about to swallow up your team. Take care and God speed to you people …

• sunderlanding - Aug 29, 2013 at 2:29 PM

You’re not going to reply, and then you did? You could at least be consistent.

• blomfeld - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:27 PM

No ! … I’m ‘not’ going to reply to you and I’m ‘not’ going to be consistent !

• sunderlanding - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Awesome. Now let’s get back to hockey.

5. bglad61 - Aug 29, 2013 at 6:41 PM

The Devils will put him in net if for no other reason to try to get into Luongos head

Top 10 NHL Player Searches