Aug 28, 2013, 9:10 PM EDT
Nazem Kadri admits his lack of a new deal with Toronto is starting to weigh on him.
“You want to be with the team, especially with all the guys starting to come back,” he told Sportsnet on Wednesday. “It’s a little frustrating, you know, the closer it comes [to training camp beginning] but I’m staying patient and don’t have much to worry about.”
Kadri refused to say whether he was looking for a short- or long-term deal, saying only that the offer tabled was “reasonable.” He also seemed to indicate the ball was in Toronto’s court as far as moving forward with negotiations.
“It’s really up to them what they want to do with my future,” he explained.
Toronto has just under $5 million in available cap space for next season with Kadri and RFA defenseman Cody Franson still unsigned. Last week, fellow RFA Adam Henrique inked a six-year, $24 million extension with New Jersey, and that was widely considered to be a comparable to Kadri’s deal. Kadri has 63 points in 99 NHL contests; Henrique has 67 in 117.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 8
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 8
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 41
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 49
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (50)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)