Aug 28, 2013, 6:33 PM EDT
Jarome Iginla took part in his first practice as a Bruin on Tuesday, but couldn’t resist looking into the future.
“I’d like to have a great year for the Bruins and just play really well and have fun and ultimately, win,” Iginla told the Bruins website. “I know a lot of the guys here, getting that close last year, a lot of them have already won but you talk to them and you talk to guys who won, and you just want to get back there and win again.”
The 36-year-old signed a one-year, $6 million deal with the Bruins in July, opting for short-term deal with a contender as opposed to a longer deal with a team on the outside looking in. Boston has been to two of the last three Stanley Cup Finals — winning once — and still has a large core of those teams locked up.
Iginla, who has never won a Cup, clearly wants in on the action. Which could be why he sounds like a guy that isn’t thinking just about one year with the Bruins.
He’s moved his family east (his kids start school soon) and talked like a guy that was seriously contemplating sticking in Boston long-term. He told the B’s website he purposely arrived early to “get as many kinks out as far as knowing the practice-route drive or learning a bit about Boston downtown,” and talked about the possibility of being a Bruin beyond 2013-14.
“I’d love to be here longer,” he explained. “As a family, we haven’t been here long but it looks fun [for the family] and the kids are excited about their school and would love to be here for a while and be part of success here for a while.”
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 5
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (56)