Aug 28, 2013, 6:33 PM EDT
Jarome Iginla took part in his first practice as a Bruin on Tuesday, but couldn’t resist looking into the future.
“I’d like to have a great year for the Bruins and just play really well and have fun and ultimately, win,” Iginla told the Bruins website. “I know a lot of the guys here, getting that close last year, a lot of them have already won but you talk to them and you talk to guys who won, and you just want to get back there and win again.”
The 36-year-old signed a one-year, $6 million deal with the Bruins in July, opting for short-term deal with a contender as opposed to a longer deal with a team on the outside looking in. Boston has been to two of the last three Stanley Cup Finals — winning once — and still has a large core of those teams locked up.
Iginla, who has never won a Cup, clearly wants in on the action. Which could be why he sounds like a guy that isn’t thinking just about one year with the Bruins.
He’s moved his family east (his kids start school soon) and talked like a guy that was seriously contemplating sticking in Boston long-term. He told the B’s website he purposely arrived early to “get as many kinks out as far as knowing the practice-route drive or learning a bit about Boston downtown,” and talked about the possibility of being a Bruin beyond 2013-14.
“I’d love to be here longer,” he explained. “As a family, we haven’t been here long but it looks fun [for the family] and the kids are excited about their school and would love to be here for a while and be part of success here for a while.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)