Aug 28, 2013, 6:33 PM EST
Jarome Iginla took part in his first practice as a Bruin on Tuesday, but couldn’t resist looking into the future.
“I’d like to have a great year for the Bruins and just play really well and have fun and ultimately, win,” Iginla told the Bruins website. “I know a lot of the guys here, getting that close last year, a lot of them have already won but you talk to them and you talk to guys who won, and you just want to get back there and win again.”
The 36-year-old signed a one-year, $6 million deal with the Bruins in July, opting for short-term deal with a contender as opposed to a longer deal with a team on the outside looking in. Boston has been to two of the last three Stanley Cup Finals — winning once — and still has a large core of those teams locked up.
Iginla, who has never won a Cup, clearly wants in on the action. Which could be why he sounds like a guy that isn’t thinking just about one year with the Bruins.
He’s moved his family east (his kids start school soon) and talked like a guy that was seriously contemplating sticking in Boston long-term. He told the B’s website he purposely arrived early to “get as many kinks out as far as knowing the practice-route drive or learning a bit about Boston downtown,” and talked about the possibility of being a Bruin beyond 2013-14.
“I’d love to be here longer,” he explained. “As a family, we haven’t been here long but it looks fun [for the family] and the kids are excited about their school and would love to be here for a while and be part of success here for a while.”
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)