Aug 28, 2013, 10:05 PM EST
Dan Carcillo knows a thing or two about playing for winning teams — he was a member of the Flyers club that advanced to the 2010 Stanley Cup Final and, three years later, won a Cup with the Blackhawks.
So what about his new team, the Los Angeles Kings?
“I think one of the bigger things now is that all the guys are proven winners, kind of like last year in Chicago,” he told Kings Insider. “You know that there’s that core group of guys that have won, and they know what it takes, and they lead the way.”
The ’12 Cup champs acquired Carcillo in mid-July after he spent the last two seasons with the ‘Hawks, appearing in 23 games last year after missing most of 2011-12 with a torn left ACL.
It’ll be interesting to see how “Carbomb” fits in L.A. When he’s on his game, he can be an effective agitator with some skill — he scored 12 goals and 22 points the year Philly went to the Cup Final, racking up 207 PIM.
His problem, though, has been his inability to play with composure, and he’s also had issues staying healthy.
One thing that won’t be an issue, though, is fitting in the Kings’ dressing room. Carcillo is tight with Mike Richards and Jeff Carter going back to their days in Philadelphia, and Carcillo was one of the first people to stick up for the pair during the infamous “Dry Island” fiasco.
“I have nothing but good things to say about Mike Richards,” Carcillo told the Chicago Sun-Times. “He’s an amazing person. He’s an amazing captain. It makes me upset kind of how he’s been dragged through the dirt a little bit as well as Jeff Carter.
“I don’t think it’s fair and I don’t think it’s warranted.”
Finally, it will be interesting to see how physically imposing the Kings will be next season. They’re added Carcillo to the mix and retained the services of their busiest fighters, Jordan Nolan (six scraps last year) and Kyle Clifford (five).
The club also has rough-and-tumble forward Colin Fraser still on the active roster.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)