Carcillo ready to join ‘proven winners’ in Los Angeles

Aug 28, 2013, 10:05 PM EST

2010 Stanley Cup Practices and Press Conferences Getty Images

Dan Carcillo knows a thing or two about playing for winning teams — he was a member of the Flyers club that advanced to the 2010 Stanley Cup Final and, three years later, won a Cup with the Blackhawks.

So what about his new team, the Los Angeles Kings?

“I think one of the bigger things now is that all the guys are proven winners, kind of like last year in Chicago,” he told Kings Insider. “You know that there’s that core group of guys that have won, and they know what it takes, and they lead the way.”

The ’12 Cup champs acquired Carcillo in mid-July after he spent the last two seasons with the ‘Hawks, appearing in 23 games last year after missing most of 2011-12 with a torn left ACL.

It’ll be interesting to see how “Carbomb” fits in L.A. When he’s on his game, he can be an effective agitator with some skill — he scored 12 goals and 22 points the year Philly went to the Cup Final, racking up 207 PIM.

His problem, though, has been his inability to play with composure, and he’s also had issues staying healthy.

One thing that won’t be an issue, though, is fitting in the Kings’ dressing room. Carcillo is tight with Mike Richards and Jeff Carter going back to their days in Philadelphia, and Carcillo was one of the first people to stick up for the pair during the infamous “Dry Island” fiasco.

“I have nothing but good things to say about Mike Richards,” Carcillo told the Chicago Sun-Times. “He’s an amazing person. He’s an amazing captain. It makes me upset kind of how he’s been dragged through the dirt a little bit as well as Jeff Carter.

“I don’t think it’s fair and I don’t think it’s warranted.”

Finally, it will be interesting to see how physically imposing the Kings will be next season. They’re added Carcillo to the mix and retained the services of their busiest fighters, Jordan Nolan (six scraps last year) and Kyle Clifford (five).

The club also has rough-and-tumble forward Colin Fraser still on the active roster.

1. eaglesw00t - Aug 28, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I wish the Flyers could have afforded to keep him. Good, tough noses player. Nice guy and I hated to lose him

• nj666 - Aug 28, 2013 at 10:48 PM

its that type of mentality and his style of play which have been hindering the flyers for years. They need to stop preaching all that “broad st bully” nonsense. Its not the 70’s anymore. You can tell things are being steered in the right direction with the hiring of Hextall.

To be honest it was pretty dumb of them to trade Upshall (who showed more grit and work ethic) for Carcillo ( who showed he likes to play dirty and fight)

• blomfeld - Aug 29, 2013 at 1:47 AM

with a filthy handle like 666, you have the nerve to come to a ‘righteous’ thread like this ? … well FU pal and may it be that God finds the time to ‘urinate’ upon both you and your miserable ilk !

• endusersolutions2013 - Aug 29, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Blom – I realize you must have meant this as humor – but it’s not, and totally inappropriate in any forum.

• endusersolutions2013 - Aug 29, 2013 at 11:32 AM

You comment unfortunately personifies the Kings as their based in the heart of the entertainment industry, including it’s incredible excesses and the “I’m a star, I can do whatever the heck I want” classless immaturity – Lindsy L, Miley C, Britany S, Justin B……

• blomfeld - Aug 29, 2013 at 1:25 PM

endusersolutions – what are you, some sort of a cleaning agent ?

listen man, I’ve been here at PHT for a time now and one thing I’ve learned is that these people can ‘tear you to ribbons’ if you ever let your guard down ! … now some are here in the spirit of ‘good times’ like me, no doubt … yet there are ‘many’ here who are not … and with them you must be forever vigilant !

• endusersolutions2013 - Aug 29, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I get humor, I get jokes, and that was not appropriate. I’ve been known to publically say “bad post’, typically because I was unclear, or used an example that was too far off.

What I’m trying to do is to “call you up” va. trashing.

I’m pretty sure you are quite capable of better.

Hope my intent is clear.

Scott

• blomfeld - Aug 29, 2013 at 1:53 PM

endusersolutions – as for the ‘celebrity’ thing, please know that we true King’s fans don’t consider those people as being anything more than ‘secondary’ stage props, or ‘incidental’ window dressing if you prefer … they are not ‘real’ fans, they are not ‘values-driven’ folk and most of them couldn’t tell you the difference between a hockey stick and a tennis racket to save their own life … of course there are a few exceptions like Matthew Perry and Alyssa Milano (hot) … but by and large, the celebrities are just a part of the scene there at Staples and they do behave very well in general …

ps: back in 2001 I rented a suite at Staples and invited 25 of our best customers to attend a King’s game… they were all male (ie: traffic managers and such) and their ethnicity was quite diverse … for most it was their first ever hockey game too … anyway, it was pretty funny, as these guys were all cheering ‘wildly’ at icing calls or when players hopped over the boards while changing on the fly ? … they were all good guys though and they were all ‘genuinely’ rooting for our Kings, which was all that mattered in my books ! :)

• dropdeaddale - Aug 30, 2013 at 9:15 PM

That’s the thing people don’t understand though. It’s not the club trying to keep up with the “Broad St Bully” image because it’s not an image to keep up with it’s just their style. From the GMS to the coaching, scouts and down to the actual players. We still have the same owner since the clubs conception during the expansion and he isn’t changing his ways and he gets people to work for him that know how he wants his club to be run. Homer is our GM and most of us remember how he used to be back in the day. It’s not an image but a culture of aggressive, mean and often down right wreckless style of play and I’d be hard pressed to find a true Flyers fan who would ever want to change that.

2. jimw81 - Aug 28, 2013 at 11:36 PM

ask any flyers fan what happen with these three players on the same team.

• endusersolutions2013 - Aug 29, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Perhaps the 3 have learned a little from their past mistakes. The lights may have gone on, but as for this Hawks fan, I’m glad Car-bomb is an ex Hawk.

• blomfeld - Aug 29, 2013 at 3:50 PM

“I’m glad ‘Car-bomb’ is an ex Hawk” ?

Solutions – While I get humor and I get jokes, calling the newest LA King a ‘terrorist’ is not appropriate. I’ve been known myself to publically say “bad’ things from time to time, however that was because I was unclear, or I used an example that was too far off.

What I’m trying to do is to “call you up” vs trashing … and I’m pretty sure you are quite capable of better.

Touche !!!!! :)

ps: the day things start becoming too serious here is the day I’m out of here !

3. hockeyfan28 - Aug 29, 2013 at 12:01 AM

They are called flyers west for a reason they have to be getting close to some kind of modern day record
    of players, coaches, and management being associated with one franchise and going to the other

• jimw81 - Aug 29, 2013 at 3:16 AM

flyers west.

4. kingsforever - Aug 29, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Except for the the fact that LA has won this century and Philly hasn’t…

• hockeyfan28 - Aug 29, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Well to quote Conan OBrien “It’s quiet here in L.A. Kinda like the day after the Kings won the Stanley Cup”…prior to that you can’t really compare the two franchises

5. endusersolutions2013 - Aug 29, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Lots of fans re-articulate how important some factorsthat ultimately contribute to success objectively of not.

HITS!!! is one of those things. If you look at teams related or unrelated to getting to the playoffs of not, you’ll see it’s irrelevent – 50% in, 50% not.

There are good hits and “inadvisable”. There are sometimes good penalties, lots not.

“The only thing I could do was hook/trip/impede”.. vs the honest, “I was out of position”, “I was a bit slow”, “I had a bad night”

Carcello’s contributions were sorely lqacking on a high skill team the last two years.

I posted before the free agent season that I hoped that they would move his non-productive cap presence.

• jimw81 - Aug 29, 2013 at 3:19 AM

i guarantee you he’s a healthy scratch by the middle of the season. he brings NOTHING to the ice.

• blomfeld - Aug 29, 2013 at 3:55 AM

With all due respect friend, kindly take your Planet of the Apes analysis and return to ‘that’ part of the forest from which you came …

6. blomfeld - Aug 29, 2013 at 1:32 AM

‘PROVEN WINNERS’ INDEED !

aka the last NHL team to win an ‘asterisk-free’ and ‘untainted’ Stanley Cup championship !

At first, the addition of this Carcillo character to our ‘championship’ team had me perplexed, given his ‘boorish’ presentation and the fact that I had earlier denounced him as ‘human’ vermin. But after some sober thought, I came to the realization that this is a ‘good’ man who wants nothing more than to ‘value-add’ to an enterprise that is guided by providence. Well he sure found that with us LA Kings eh ? :)

My only concern is that I hope we Kings don’t get carried away now with the ‘tough’ guy stuff? We’re already the biggest and toughest team in the business and so we don’t have to prove anything to anyone. What we do need to do however, is to bring our ‘big’ guns to bear now on a nightly basis with ‘ruthless’ vengeance ! Dean Lombardi has assembled what is arguably the most ‘prolific’ scoring machine seen since the 1980’s Oilers. And therefore it’s time for us to start ‘seriously’ taking that to the bank. Last year saw us get caught up in the ‘Planet of the Apes’ crap and it cost us dearly in the end. But not this year friends, as this year is going to be all about us reclaiming ‘that’ which is ours and nothing else !!! :)

GO KINGS GO !!! …. TODAY, TOMORROW AND FOREVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

• tdrusher225 - Aug 29, 2013 at 11:05 AM

If anything the mediocre field of opponents the Kings were able to pull in 2012 is more cause for an asterisk.

• blomfeld - Aug 29, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Mediocre ? …

Kings 4 – Canucks 1

Kings 4 – Blues 0

Kings 4 – Coyotes 1

Kings 4 – Devils 2

————————-
        Kings 16 – Opposition 4

so by beating the ‘best of the best’ by a whopping margin of 4-1 and then calling them just ‘mediocre’ teams, how then do we classify your team which couldn’t even make it to the dance ?

• tdrusher225 - Aug 29, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Look I’m pushing you’re buttons. Of course you wouldn’t take away from the Kings Championship, even if they didn’t face great competition. But saying that is even less ridiculous than trying to take away from the Blackhawks Cup run because of a 48 game regular season. They were the best team wire to wire, won 16 postseason games, dispatched you’re former Champs in 5, and faced much tougher competition in route to the Cup. The Kings have proven they’re one of the league’s best, but to claim that they’re Championship is any more worthy than the Blackhawks or anyone else’s is moronic. BTW my team has made it to the dance 2 out of the last 3 years.

• blomfeld - Aug 29, 2013 at 2:13 PM

just back-off tdrusher, you button pusher !

let me guess … is it like Boston ? … not bad eh ? :)

• tdrusher225 - Aug 29, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Can’t put anything past you blom.

7. esracerx46 - Aug 29, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Please inform me, because you are obviously a smarter man than I. What makes the Hawks cup tainted? Why should their be an asterisk? The Kings played the same amount of regular season games and needed the same amount of wins in the playoffs to get the cup. The problem is they were 7 wins short. Youre vaunted scoring machine was in for repairs and you’re lucky it was a shortened season because the Kings wouldnt have even made the playoffs if we had a full season because of the injuries. Hawks won the same amount of games the kings did in 2012. Absolutely no taint, and no need for an asterisk.

• endusersolutions2013 - Aug 29, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Blom is apparantly going for the record of totally clueless posts on one aqrticle. Carcillo added nothing to the Hawks, and I publically predicted his getting “moved” to free cap and more importantly roster space”.

He does fit with the Kings unfortunately. The captains of the Hawks and Kings lead by example. J. Toews (Selke winner) lead the team with the fewest PIM, was not suspended, did not do any intrentional head shots.

UNLIKE your captain, who did clearly intentional head shots to opposing players two nights in a row during the regular season (and amazingly only got one game day suspendsion), then tried to injure Jaden Schwartz in the playoffs, trying, and fortunately missing knee to knee and elbow to head.

The unfortunate thing is that there is no “intended to injure” penalty.

If we can find a place to hold a bet, I’m QUITE willing to bet that the Hawks end up with more points than the Kings, Aand finish higher in the playoffs.

• endusersolutions2013 - Aug 29, 2013 at 11:22 AM

You frequently post vid clips where most are left scratching their heads to the relevance.

Coming from an open hawks fan, I think the intent will be quite clear;)

• blomfeld - Aug 29, 2013 at 1:01 PM

“because you are obviously a smarter man than I” …

that’s not true friend, as I’ve ‘never’ purported to be a ‘know it all’ here at PHT … nonetheless, whatever I may lack in knowledge is ‘more’ than compensated for with zeal and conviction ! … as for the asterisk business, even Hawk’s fans will tell you that they’d prefer it if their victory last year was based on a ‘scandal-free’ 82 x game regulation season … but it wasn’t thanks to Bettman … as you may know, carding a golf score of 68 based on playing only 16 holes ‘cannot’ be considered a legitimate round … to do so would constitute ‘cheating’ and behavior which is ‘not’ values-driven … anyway, we now have a full season ahead of us and so the Blackhawks will have their chance to ‘rightfully’ claim that they’re the best … until then however, I and millions of others around the world will continue to recognize the glorious Kings of Los Angeles as the ‘current’ reigning Stanley Cup champions …

• endusersolutions2013 - Aug 29, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Rubbish. By this standard, any anomolies to rutine would result in an asterisk. And what “scandal” are you referring to?

This comming season who have two – ended later than normal, plus 3 weeks off for an Olympic year.

The bottom line is the NHL keeps records regardless of “anomolies”.

Careful when you raise the * flag – it may well happen to your team in the future.

You may be “zealous”. I’m analytical and normative. And I do seriously good research.

• blomfeld - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:06 PM

“And what “scandal” are you referring to?” …

The ‘premeditated & contrived’ lockout of last year, which was designed by Bettman & crew to eliminate the forward half of the season in-order for the NHL to achieve ‘short term’ financial objectives …

“Any anomalies to routine would result in an asterisk?” …

no they wouldn’t, as a rainstorm doesn’t necessarily impede or stop play at a golf tournament … however, a player turning in a scorecard based on < 18 holes of play is not considered a 'legitimate' round and therefore will not be recognized … there are no two ways about it …

8. pone27 - Aug 29, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Hey blom, trololol your thoughts on this one:

Thee Chicago Blackhawks are your 2013 Lord Stanley Cup Champions!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, Carcillo did squat to help win it, enjoy blommy boy!

• blomfeld - Aug 29, 2013 at 1:14 PM

yeah ? … and Carter did squat in Columbus, but then overnight he turned into a human ‘scoring machine’ once he joined our glorious ranks ! … so what’s your point ? … remember that Elvis ‘struggled’ when he was first cutting records with Sam Phillips at Sun Records, but then went ‘berserk’ once he signed with RCA !

9. alicesrightfootesq - Aug 29, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Seriously can’t believe this guy has made millions “playing” hockey.

10. elvispocomo - Aug 29, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Is he still interested in fighting some of his favourite names on the Canucks: Glass, Torres and Laperriere?

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches