Aug 28, 2013, 2:55 PM EDT
The player who always seems to stand out on the Washington Capitals’ blue line is Mike Green. His prolific offensive skills back there make him a player for opposing defenses to watch. His own defensive abilities have often come under fire, however, and sometimes with good reason.
Four years ago, he missed out on making Team Canada’s Olympic roster despite being in the midst of back-to-back 70-plus point seasons. While Canada went on to win gold then, Green is back vying for a spot on the 2014 team and tells Katie Carrera of The Washington Post he’s a well-rounded player now.
“I think I’ve developed a lot as a player. After I wasn’t invited I worked hard to develop my game so that I would be looked at for the next Olympics. That’s where I’m at,” Green said. “I think that I was a little one dimensional before being just an offensive defenseman and I’ve really been concentrating on keeping my plus-minus up and playing strong defense.”
Plus-minus hasn’t really been an issue for Green in the past as his offense would help buoy his defensive miscues. Last season he was a mere minus-3 in plus-minus.
If there’s anything that’s vital for the Caps, however, it’s that Green stays healthy and in the lineup. Say what you will about his defense, but there’s no questioning they’re a better team with him out there. His power play abilities alone make him a vital weapon.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 61
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 28
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 49
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 32
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (67)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)