Aug 27, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
While Team USA was busy having meetings during their Olympic orientation camp in Virginia, the “main event” was the unveiling of the jerseys they’ll be wearing during the 2014 Games in Sochi.
Without further ado, here they are from Heidi Burgett at Nike.
Let me do my best Tim Gunn impression here:
The crest is impressive. It’s an old-school throwback look that appeared in smaller form on the 2010 jerseys. It’s old-timey looking and cool. No problems there.
Everything else? Debatable.
The road blue jersey is the better of the two if for no reason other than the striping isn’t quite so bad. The single red stripe on the white jersey is a touch off-putting.
The stars embedded on the shoulders of both jerseys will get a lot of flack, but it’s an American jersey and it’s all about the stars and stripes, baby! We’re just kind of lacking on the stripes is all (apologies to the 13 original colonies).
The one unforgivable sin here is the lacing on the collars as they’re not even real laces.
Canadian fans are sure to get their digs in but just keep in mind: Nike is designing their jerseys as well. Let’s hear your thoughts in the comments.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 9
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 9
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25