Aug 27, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
While Team USA was busy having meetings during their Olympic orientation camp in Virginia, the “main event” was the unveiling of the jerseys they’ll be wearing during the 2014 Games in Sochi.
Without further ado, here they are from Heidi Burgett at Nike.
Let me do my best Tim Gunn impression here:
The crest is impressive. It’s an old-school throwback look that appeared in smaller form on the 2010 jerseys. It’s old-timey looking and cool. No problems there.
Everything else? Debatable.
The road blue jersey is the better of the two if for no reason other than the striping isn’t quite so bad. The single red stripe on the white jersey is a touch off-putting.
The stars embedded on the shoulders of both jerseys will get a lot of flack, but it’s an American jersey and it’s all about the stars and stripes, baby! We’re just kind of lacking on the stripes is all (apologies to the 13 original colonies).
The one unforgivable sin here is the lacing on the collars as they’re not even real laces.
Canadian fans are sure to get their digs in but just keep in mind: Nike is designing their jerseys as well. Let’s hear your thoughts in the comments.
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 21
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Maurice Richard named greatest player in Canadiens history 15
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day on PHT 11