Aug 27, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT
We’re just a few weeks away from the start of training camp and Rangers restricted free agent center Derek Stepan is still unsigned.
Stepan tells Tom Gulitti of Ranger Rants he’s not focused on negotiations and leaving that to his agent and the team.
“But these things take time,” he said. “These things are something that both sides have to agree on. You’ve seen it and I’ve seen it. That’s just how it goes. It’s part of the business and it’s part of the job and it’s part of being a professional hockey player.”
For the Rangers, they probably wouldn’t mind it too much if Stepan wanted to be frugal. According to CapGeek.com, the Rangers have just over $2 million in cap space this season. Stepan is the last RFA they have to sign and he’s arguably their most important.
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 5
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 13
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 35
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 17
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 76
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)