Aug 27, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT
We’re just a few weeks away from the start of training camp and Rangers restricted free agent center Derek Stepan is still unsigned.
Stepan tells Tom Gulitti of Ranger Rants he’s not focused on negotiations and leaving that to his agent and the team.
“But these things take time,” he said. “These things are something that both sides have to agree on. You’ve seen it and I’ve seen it. That’s just how it goes. It’s part of the business and it’s part of the job and it’s part of being a professional hockey player.”
For the Rangers, they probably wouldn’t mind it too much if Stepan wanted to be frugal. According to CapGeek.com, the Rangers have just over $2 million in cap space this season. Stepan is the last RFA they have to sign and he’s arguably their most important.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 21
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)