Aug 27, 2013, 7:35 PM EST
Many people have pegged Ryan Kesler as a potential benefactor from John Tortorella’s hire in Vancouver.
Apparently, Kesler agrees.
“[Tortorella] wants hard work, he wants execution and he wants no mistakes. That’s basically what my game is all about,” Kesler said at Team USA’s Olympic camp, as per NHL.com. “He wants you to compete and doesn’t want anybody to take a game off, which I like.”
Tortorella doesn’t have much history with any of his new Canuck players, so his brief experience with Kesler on the 2010 U.S. Olympic team is important.
Tortorella ran the defense for America’s silver medal-winning side, but still got to work with Kesler during the finest stretch of the center’s career. Kesler scored a career-high 41 goals in 2010-11 while pacing the Canucks to the Stanley Cup Final, capturing his first-ever Selke Trophy (beating out Jonathan Toews and Pavel Datsyuk.)
It’ll be interesting to see if Tortorella implements the same minute distribution in Vancouver as he did in New York. His best players received huge ice time, as evident by Ryan McDonagh’s 53-minute performance during a triple-OT playoff win in 2012.
Kesler has been a workhorse in the past — he played more than any forward during the ’11 Cup run — and is looking to get back to that after a myriad of injuries (foot, shoulder and hip) over the last two seasons.
“I feel like I haven’t played in a couple of years,” Kesler said. “I’m 100 percent.”
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 10
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 28
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 15
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 27
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 11
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 45
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 44
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 14
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 64
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)