Aug 27, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT
Two days after reports suggested Hockey Canada was “extremely disappointed” with Claude Giroux skipping Olympic orientation camp, any potential controversy was put to rest.
Giroux’s decision to bail on the camp and focus on rehabbing his injured hand won’t affect his chances of representing Canada in Sochi, GM Steve Yzerman told the Canadian Press.
The news shouldn’t come as a huge surprise — Giroux is considered by many to be one of the 11 “locks” Hockey Canada CEO Bob Nicholson referred to — but will likely come as a relief to Giroux, who has faced scrutiny following his decision.
“It’s safe to say the entire Olympic brain trust from Hockey Canada, right down to the coaching staff, feel as though they’re extremely disappointed that [Giroux] is not here,” TSN’s Bob McKenzie reported from the Calgary-based camp. “Giroux figures on being an important player on this team, and one of maybe eight forwards who are perceived — if not outright locks — then certainly favorites [to make the team].
McKenzie went on to suggest Giroux stayed away from camp at the urging of the Flyers organization, so perhaps that’s why Hockey Canada isn’t holding the decision against him.
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 6
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 51
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)