Aug 27, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Two of Columbus’ most highly-touted prospects will be on display in a matter on days.
Ryan Murray — the No. 2 overall pick at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft — and Kerby Rychel, the 19th overall pick at the ’13 draft, will make their Columbus debuts at Detroit’s Annual NHL Prospect Tournament in Traverse City, MI.
The tournament runs from Sept. 5-9 and will feature eight teams: Columbus, Buffalo, Carolina, New York (Rangers), Dallas, Detroit, Minnesota and St. Louis.
Traverse City promises to be a big event for the Jackets, who will get their most extensive look at Murray, the highly-touted WHL Everett standout that was the first blueliner chosen in the defense-heavy ’12 draft.
Murray was sidelined for most of last season after suffering a shoulder injury and undergoing surgery, appearing in just 23 games for the Silvertips and missing out on the 2013 World Juniors.
Columbus will also get its first solid look at Rychel — son of longtime NHLer Warren — after watching him participate at prospects camp in July.
There’s also a third prospect worth monitoring.
The Jackets will be paying close attention to the play of Boone Jenner, their second-round pick (37th overall) at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. Jenner, 20, looked as though he was in line to make the team last season, but Columbus opted to return him to OHL Oshawa — where he scored 82 points in 56 games and was named to Team Canada’s entry at the World Juniors.
This will be Jenner’s second appearance at the Traverse City tournament, having represented the Jackets in 2011 as well.
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 7
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)