Aug 27, 2013, 5:45 PM EDT
Two of Columbus’ most highly-touted prospects will be on display in a matter on days.
Ryan Murray — the No. 2 overall pick at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft — and Kerby Rychel, the 19th overall pick at the ’13 draft, will make their Columbus debuts at Detroit’s Annual NHL Prospect Tournament in Traverse City, MI.
The tournament runs from Sept. 5-9 and will feature eight teams: Columbus, Buffalo, Carolina, New York (Rangers), Dallas, Detroit, Minnesota and St. Louis.
Traverse City promises to be a big event for the Jackets, who will get their most extensive look at Murray, the highly-touted WHL Everett standout that was the first blueliner chosen in the defense-heavy ’12 draft.
Murray was sidelined for most of last season after suffering a shoulder injury and undergoing surgery, appearing in just 23 games for the Silvertips and missing out on the 2013 World Juniors.
Columbus will also get its first solid look at Rychel — son of longtime NHLer Warren — after watching him participate at prospects camp in July.
There’s also a third prospect worth monitoring.
The Jackets will be paying close attention to the play of Boone Jenner, their second-round pick (37th overall) at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. Jenner, 20, looked as though he was in line to make the team last season, but Columbus opted to return him to OHL Oshawa — where he scored 82 points in 56 games and was named to Team Canada’s entry at the World Juniors.
This will be Jenner’s second appearance at the Traverse City tournament, having represented the Jackets in 2011 as well.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)