Aug 27, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Two of Columbus’ most highly-touted prospects will be on display in a matter on days.
Ryan Murray — the No. 2 overall pick at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft — and Kerby Rychel, the 19th overall pick at the ’13 draft, will make their Columbus debuts at Detroit’s Annual NHL Prospect Tournament in Traverse City, MI.
The tournament runs from Sept. 5-9 and will feature eight teams: Columbus, Buffalo, Carolina, New York (Rangers), Dallas, Detroit, Minnesota and St. Louis.
Traverse City promises to be a big event for the Jackets, who will get their most extensive look at Murray, the highly-touted WHL Everett standout that was the first blueliner chosen in the defense-heavy ’12 draft.
Murray was sidelined for most of last season after suffering a shoulder injury and undergoing surgery, appearing in just 23 games for the Silvertips and missing out on the 2013 World Juniors.
Columbus will also get its first solid look at Rychel — son of longtime NHLer Warren — after watching him participate at prospects camp in July.
There’s also a third prospect worth monitoring.
The Jackets will be paying close attention to the play of Boone Jenner, their second-round pick (37th overall) at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. Jenner, 20, looked as though he was in line to make the team last season, but Columbus opted to return him to OHL Oshawa — where he scored 82 points in 56 games and was named to Team Canada’s entry at the World Juniors.
This will be Jenner’s second appearance at the Traverse City tournament, having represented the Jackets in 2011 as well.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 0
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 52
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (54)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)