Aug 27, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Two of Columbus’ most highly-touted prospects will be on display in a matter on days.
Ryan Murray — the No. 2 overall pick at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft — and Kerby Rychel, the 19th overall pick at the ’13 draft, will make their Columbus debuts at Detroit’s Annual NHL Prospect Tournament in Traverse City, MI.
The tournament runs from Sept. 5-9 and will feature eight teams: Columbus, Buffalo, Carolina, New York (Rangers), Dallas, Detroit, Minnesota and St. Louis.
Traverse City promises to be a big event for the Jackets, who will get their most extensive look at Murray, the highly-touted WHL Everett standout that was the first blueliner chosen in the defense-heavy ’12 draft.
Murray was sidelined for most of last season after suffering a shoulder injury and undergoing surgery, appearing in just 23 games for the Silvertips and missing out on the 2013 World Juniors.
Columbus will also get its first solid look at Rychel — son of longtime NHLer Warren — after watching him participate at prospects camp in July.
There’s also a third prospect worth monitoring.
The Jackets will be paying close attention to the play of Boone Jenner, their second-round pick (37th overall) at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. Jenner, 20, looked as though he was in line to make the team last season, but Columbus opted to return him to OHL Oshawa — where he scored 82 points in 56 games and was named to Team Canada’s entry at the World Juniors.
This will be Jenner’s second appearance at the Traverse City tournament, having represented the Jackets in 2011 as well.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)