Aug 26, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
One of the more notable snubs from the U.S. Olympic orientation camp was Minnesota Wild forward Jason Pominville.
And one person acutely aware of that snub?
The guy who handed out the invites — American GM David Poile.
Poile, who addressed the media on Monday from the opening day of Team USA’s camp in Virginia, said Pominville “probably should have” been invited to camp — and that, during a lengthy meeting with the American management team, Pominville’s name was eventually “put back on the board.”
“If [Pominville] plays well enough,” Poile told the Minnesota Star-Tribune, “he’s back in the mix.”
The understanding is that Pominville will have the opportunity to play his way onto the squad from October to December (rosters are due on Dec. 31). The former Buffalo captain has plenty of offensive skill — he scored 30 goals and 72 points in 2011-12 — but will need a stellar first-half showing to crack the American forward group.
Poile alluded that a number of forwards already have a “foot in the door,” meaning they’re not quite locks but about as close as you can get.
From there, it’s simply a numbers game: USA Hockey invited 24 forwards to the Virginia camp and it looks as though five to seven spots will be up for grabs.
As such, Pominville faces an uphill battle for a job.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 16
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 62
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)