Aug 26, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
One of the more notable snubs from the U.S. Olympic orientation camp was Minnesota Wild forward Jason Pominville.
And one person acutely aware of that snub?
The guy who handed out the invites — American GM David Poile.
Poile, who addressed the media on Monday from the opening day of Team USA’s camp in Virginia, said Pominville “probably should have” been invited to camp — and that, during a lengthy meeting with the American management team, Pominville’s name was eventually “put back on the board.”
“If [Pominville] plays well enough,” Poile told the Minnesota Star-Tribune, “he’s back in the mix.”
The understanding is that Pominville will have the opportunity to play his way onto the squad from October to December (rosters are due on Dec. 31). The former Buffalo captain has plenty of offensive skill — he scored 30 goals and 72 points in 2011-12 — but will need a stellar first-half showing to crack the American forward group.
Poile alluded that a number of forwards already have a “foot in the door,” meaning they’re not quite locks but about as close as you can get.
From there, it’s simply a numbers game: USA Hockey invited 24 forwards to the Virginia camp and it looks as though five to seven spots will be up for grabs.
As such, Pominville faces an uphill battle for a job.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 13
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 13
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)