Aug 26, 2013, 9:05 PM EST
Ryan Miller isn’t sure what the future holds for him in Buffalo, but he does know one thing — he wants it to be drama-free.
Or, as drama-free as possible.
Miller spoke with NHL.com during Monday’s Team USA Olympic camp in Virginia and, in discussing trade rumors, alluded to another high-profile netminder who’d been subjected to plenty of them — Roberto Luongo.
“I’m not going to try and handle it maybe the way Roberto did because I think the salary cap changing and a few other situations changing with regard to long-term contracts has already shifted [the market],” Miller explained. “I’m not saying he made bad decisions, I’m just saying it has all changed very quickly.
“He was operating with a contract that was signed with the last CBA. That’s hard and difficult to move that kind of contract because essentially that was Gary Bettman’s big thing was to close those [types of contracts] off. Trying to move something that they tried to get rid of is kind of a tough situation.”
As we’ve thoroughly documented here on PHT, the Luongo situation played out like a soap opera over the last 12 months. There was plenty of discussion about no-movement clauses and rejected trades and botched deals, all of which Miller is seeking to avoid in his future.
Part of this has to do with the current goaltending market.
Sabres GM Darcy Regier has found it difficult finding trade partners for Miller (who’s set to make $6.25 million this year) and, as such, Miller isn’t going to get in the way of any potential deal — even one that returns him to Buffalo.
“I’m not closed off to the possibility,” he explained. “I understand the situation in the NHL. There’s not a lot of goaltending jobs and they’re getting filled up by long-term contracts.
“I’m not going to try and close too many avenues at this point.”
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 2
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 21
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11