Aug 26, 2013, 9:05 PM EST
Ryan Miller isn’t sure what the future holds for him in Buffalo, but he does know one thing — he wants it to be drama-free.
Or, as drama-free as possible.
Miller spoke with NHL.com during Monday’s Team USA Olympic camp in Virginia and, in discussing trade rumors, alluded to another high-profile netminder who’d been subjected to plenty of them — Roberto Luongo.
“I’m not going to try and handle it maybe the way Roberto did because I think the salary cap changing and a few other situations changing with regard to long-term contracts has already shifted [the market],” Miller explained. “I’m not saying he made bad decisions, I’m just saying it has all changed very quickly.
“He was operating with a contract that was signed with the last CBA. That’s hard and difficult to move that kind of contract because essentially that was Gary Bettman’s big thing was to close those [types of contracts] off. Trying to move something that they tried to get rid of is kind of a tough situation.”
As we’ve thoroughly documented here on PHT, the Luongo situation played out like a soap opera over the last 12 months. There was plenty of discussion about no-movement clauses and rejected trades and botched deals, all of which Miller is seeking to avoid in his future.
Part of this has to do with the current goaltending market.
Sabres GM Darcy Regier has found it difficult finding trade partners for Miller (who’s set to make $6.25 million this year) and, as such, Miller isn’t going to get in the way of any potential deal — even one that returns him to Buffalo.
“I’m not closed off to the possibility,” he explained. “I understand the situation in the NHL. There’s not a lot of goaltending jobs and they’re getting filled up by long-term contracts.
“I’m not going to try and close too many avenues at this point.”
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 28
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 89
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (89)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)