Aug 26, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
Is Pekka Rinne going to be ready for training camp?
That was one of the questions that came from Nashville GM David Poile’s media availability during Monday’s Team USA Olympic camp in Virginia. Poile didn’t offer much of an update on his star goalie — who underwent major hip surgery in May — telling The Tennessean that Rinne is back in Nashville, but has yet to resume skating.
Rinne, 30, underwent hip arthroscopy surgery shortly after Nashville’s 2013 campaign ended, and was on crutches for a lengthy period of time. At the time, the prognosis was he’d be ready for training camp.
In June, Rinne said the hip was feeling good. The plan was to rehab in his native Finland and “be ready for the season.”
While this latest update isn’t exactly a setback — the Preds don’t open camp until Sept. 11 and don’t hit the ice until the 12th — Nashville has to be a tad concerned its star netminder still isn’t back skating, as goaltending depth isn’t exactly an organizational strength.
The Preds didn’t re-up this summer with veteran backup Chris Mason, who struggled behind Rinne last year, and opted to fill the No. 2 gig by signing Carter Hutton, the former Chicago farmhand that has exactly one game of NHL experience.
Poile has stated the club will likely sign another goalie, but it remains to be seen who that goalie is. The free agent market still has a few decent names — Jose Theodore, Johan Hedberg — and it’s possible the club could look at trade scenarios.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 15
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 14
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5