Aug 26, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
Is Pekka Rinne going to be ready for training camp?
That was one of the questions that came from Nashville GM David Poile’s media availability during Monday’s Team USA Olympic camp in Virginia. Poile didn’t offer much of an update on his star goalie — who underwent major hip surgery in May — telling The Tennessean that Rinne is back in Nashville, but has yet to resume skating.
Rinne, 30, underwent hip arthroscopy surgery shortly after Nashville’s 2013 campaign ended, and was on crutches for a lengthy period of time. At the time, the prognosis was he’d be ready for training camp.
In June, Rinne said the hip was feeling good. The plan was to rehab in his native Finland and “be ready for the season.”
While this latest update isn’t exactly a setback — the Preds don’t open camp until Sept. 11 and don’t hit the ice until the 12th — Nashville has to be a tad concerned its star netminder still isn’t back skating, as goaltending depth isn’t exactly an organizational strength.
The Preds didn’t re-up this summer with veteran backup Chris Mason, who struggled behind Rinne last year, and opted to fill the No. 2 gig by signing Carter Hutton, the former Chicago farmhand that has exactly one game of NHL experience.
Poile has stated the club will likely sign another goalie, but it remains to be seen who that goalie is. The free agent market still has a few decent names — Jose Theodore, Johan Hedberg — and it’s possible the club could look at trade scenarios.
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 14
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 70
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 66
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)