Aug 26, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
Is Pekka Rinne going to be ready for training camp?
That was one of the questions that came from Nashville GM David Poile’s media availability during Monday’s Team USA Olympic camp in Virginia. Poile didn’t offer much of an update on his star goalie — who underwent major hip surgery in May — telling The Tennessean that Rinne is back in Nashville, but has yet to resume skating.
Rinne, 30, underwent hip arthroscopy surgery shortly after Nashville’s 2013 campaign ended, and was on crutches for a lengthy period of time. At the time, the prognosis was he’d be ready for training camp.
In June, Rinne said the hip was feeling good. The plan was to rehab in his native Finland and “be ready for the season.”
While this latest update isn’t exactly a setback — the Preds don’t open camp until Sept. 11 and don’t hit the ice until the 12th — Nashville has to be a tad concerned its star netminder still isn’t back skating, as goaltending depth isn’t exactly an organizational strength.
The Preds didn’t re-up this summer with veteran backup Chris Mason, who struggled behind Rinne last year, and opted to fill the No. 2 gig by signing Carter Hutton, the former Chicago farmhand that has exactly one game of NHL experience.
Poile has stated the club will likely sign another goalie, but it remains to be seen who that goalie is. The free agent market still has a few decent names — Jose Theodore, Johan Hedberg — and it’s possible the club could look at trade scenarios.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 24
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 10
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 50
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (50)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)
- ‘Don’t ruin a good thing,’ says Don Cherry after historic Rogers-NHL deal (32)