Aug 26, 2013, 1:19 PM EDT
Rangers defenseman Dan Girardi is going to look a little different on the ice next season.
According to the Rangers, Girardi took to the ice today in a pre-camp workout and was rocking a brand new visor on his helmet, something he’s never worn in his time as a pro.
The reason for him making the change probably have everything to do with what happened to teammate Marc Staal a year ago.
Staal suffered a serious injury after taking a puck in his eye back on March 5. Staal missed the rest of the regular season and returned to play in one postseason game, Game 3 against Washington in the first round of the Eastern Conference playoffs.
The NHL has made visors mandatory for new players, but that doesn’t apply to Girardi. Seeing him make the switch makes a world of sense not just for logical reasons but also because he’s consistently been a league-leader in blocking shots.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:21 PM EDT
All the breaks seem to be going Chicago’s way.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:19 PM EDT
Second key player Nashville’s lost in as many games.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:52 PM EDT
Not a great start to the playoffs for Corey Crawford.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
Johnny Boychuk admits Isles let one slip away.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:12 PM EDT
Ottawa will need magic at home.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
Quite a comeback win for Washington.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT
He blew the Islanders’ minds on this one.
Apr 17, 2015, 8:37 PM EDT
Updated with P.K. Subban’s booming goal.
Apr 17, 2015, 8:02 PM EDT
Awesome countered by awesomeness.
Apr 17, 2015, 7:02 PM EDT
He seemed tentative in warm-ups …
Apr 17, 2015, 6:39 PM EDT
Apr 17, 2015, 6:28 PM EDT
No pressure, kid.
Apr 17, 2015, 5:55 PM EDT
Game 2’s galore.
Apr 17, 2015, 5:07 PM EDT
“It seems when we lose a game everyone’s really focused to get back on the winning track.”
Apr 17, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT
Mike Fisher looks like he’s unable to go.
Apr 17, 2015, 3:11 PM EDT
After racking up 78 points in 69 games.
Apr 17, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT
He’s no Eric Lindros.
Apr 17, 2015, 1:52 PM EDT
Montreal could be without two of its better offensive forwards.
Apr 17, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
“We just didn’t get the bounces tonight. “
Apr 17, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT
Not a huge surprise, really.
- Video: Controversial Kane goal has Laviolette fuming 0
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 36
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 45
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Datsyuk, Mrazek powers Red Wings past Lightning in Game 1 30