Aug 26, 2013, 4:05 PM EDT
Last season the rest of the league and many fans got to know what Islanders fans have been getting used to the last few seasons.
The pair of Islanders forwards combined for 91 points last season, including 43 goals. That point total put them in position with some of the best last season:
- Martin St. Louis – Steven Stamkos — 117
- Sidney Crosby – Chris Kunitz — 108
- Alex Ovechkin – Mike Ribeiro — 105
- Patrick Kane – Jonathan Toews — 103
- Henrik Zetterberg – Pavel Datsyuk — 97
- Eric Staal – Alexander Semin — 97
- Phil Kessel – Nazem Kadri — 96
- Jakub Voracek – Claude Giroux — 93
- Tavares-Moulson — 91
- Taylor Hall – Sam Gagner — 88
That’s pretty lofty company with the likes of Crosby, Ovechkin, Kane, Toews, Datsyuk, and Giroux involved. After all, Tavares and Moulson aren’t household names quite yet, but maybe they ought to be.
Ever since joining the Islanders back in 2009-2010 as a free agent from Los Angeles, Moulson has scored 30 goals in every full season. His 15 goals last year put him on pace to do it again if not for the lockout. A multiple-time 30-goal scorer would have to be a superstar by now, right? Not so.
Tavares, meanwhile, has the No. 1 overall draft pick pedigree. The 2009 top choice has improved in each season and was a Hart Trophy finalist. At 22 years old, he’s poised to be the new captain of the team and will likely push for an Art Ross Trophy this season given his yearly improvements.
With these two leading the way, the Islanders’ future is indeed bright and with Moulson providing the veteran leadership as a 29-year-old, things are looking great for fans on the Island and in Brooklyn for years to come.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)