Aug 26, 2013, 4:05 PM EDT
Last season the rest of the league and many fans got to know what Islanders fans have been getting used to the last few seasons.
The pair of Islanders forwards combined for 91 points last season, including 43 goals. That point total put them in position with some of the best last season:
- Martin St. Louis – Steven Stamkos — 117
- Sidney Crosby – Chris Kunitz — 108
- Alex Ovechkin – Mike Ribeiro — 105
- Patrick Kane – Jonathan Toews — 103
- Henrik Zetterberg – Pavel Datsyuk — 97
- Eric Staal – Alexander Semin — 97
- Phil Kessel – Nazem Kadri — 96
- Jakub Voracek – Claude Giroux — 93
- Tavares-Moulson — 91
- Taylor Hall – Sam Gagner — 88
That’s pretty lofty company with the likes of Crosby, Ovechkin, Kane, Toews, Datsyuk, and Giroux involved. After all, Tavares and Moulson aren’t household names quite yet, but maybe they ought to be.
Ever since joining the Islanders back in 2009-2010 as a free agent from Los Angeles, Moulson has scored 30 goals in every full season. His 15 goals last year put him on pace to do it again if not for the lockout. A multiple-time 30-goal scorer would have to be a superstar by now, right? Not so.
Tavares, meanwhile, has the No. 1 overall draft pick pedigree. The 2009 top choice has improved in each season and was a Hart Trophy finalist. At 22 years old, he’s poised to be the new captain of the team and will likely push for an Art Ross Trophy this season given his yearly improvements.
With these two leading the way, the Islanders’ future is indeed bright and with Moulson providing the veteran leadership as a 29-year-old, things are looking great for fans on the Island and in Brooklyn for years to come.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 3
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 25
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 31
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 36
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)