Aug 26, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
“He does it all,” Goligoski told Stars Inside Edge of the Russian rearguard, who will be his teammate in Dallas this season. “He is one of those players that if he is on your team he makes your team a lot better in the person that he is in the locker room, and out on the ice.”
Goligoski made his NHL debut in 2007-08 on Penguins team that featured the high-scoring Gonchar — he had 65 points in 78 games that year — and advanced all the way to the Stanley Cup Final.
A year later, Goligoski played in 45 regular-season and two playoff games while Gonchar returned from a season-long shoulder injury to help the Pens win the Cup.
From there, the two parted ways.
Gonchar signed a three-year deal with Ottawa in 2010 and, a year later, Goligoski was traded to Dallas as part of the James Neal deal.
The defensive duo came full circle this offseason when new Stars GM Jim Nill traded for Gonchar’s negotiating rights, then signed the 39-year-old to a two-year, $10 million deal.
Now Goligoski and Gonchar are reunited and (sorry in advance), it feels so good.
“Leadership and he’s a great player,” Goligoski said. “[Gonchar will] be a great addition.”
Jul 28, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT
With the Nurnberg Ice Tigers.
Jul 28, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Winning bid to be decided by the end of the year.
Jul 28, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
“When the games mean something, that’s when he’s at his best.”
Jul 28, 2015, 1:21 PM EDT
The Blue Jackets have done well. The Canucks have not.
Jul 28, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
Probably looking at another year of junior hockey.
Jul 28, 2015, 11:56 AM EDT
Busy day for Pittsburgh.
Jul 28, 2015, 11:40 AM EDT
Jul 28, 2015, 10:40 AM EDT
Could be a top-six winger. Could be a third-line center.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:08 AM EDT
Arbitration hearing scheduled for Thursday.
Jul 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
25-year-old didn’t file for arbitration, hoping instead to sign a long-term contract.
Jul 28, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
In the form of a cool $100,000.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:29 PM EDT
But are any teams mulling his return?
Jul 27, 2015, 8:21 PM EDT
Where he’ll work as a community liaison.
Jul 27, 2015, 7:22 PM EDT
“I want to go free.”
Jul 27, 2015, 6:21 PM EDT
24-year-old forward would require waivers to be sent down…
Jul 27, 2015, 5:22 PM EDT
“I’ll have to start thinking about it more and more in the next couple of weeks.”
Jul 27, 2015, 4:28 PM EDT
Hence the six-year, $39 million contract.
Jul 27, 2015, 3:26 PM EDT
Looking to become a full-time NHLer after suffering a series of injuries at the start his pro career.
Jul 27, 2015, 2:22 PM EDT
The alignment debate rages on.
Jul 27, 2015, 1:27 PM EDT
Russ Brandon takes over.
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 15
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 17
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 16
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 50
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (61)