Aug 26, 2013, 8:10 PM EST
“He does it all,” Goligoski told Stars Inside Edge of the Russian rearguard, who will be his teammate in Dallas this season. “He is one of those players that if he is on your team he makes your team a lot better in the person that he is in the locker room, and out on the ice.”
Goligoski made his NHL debut in 2007-08 on Penguins team that featured the high-scoring Gonchar — he had 65 points in 78 games that year — and advanced all the way to the Stanley Cup Final.
A year later, Goligoski played in 45 regular-season and two playoff games while Gonchar returned from a season-long shoulder injury to help the Pens win the Cup.
From there, the two parted ways.
Gonchar signed a three-year deal with Ottawa in 2010 and, a year later, Goligoski was traded to Dallas as part of the James Neal deal.
The defensive duo came full circle this offseason when new Stars GM Jim Nill traded for Gonchar’s negotiating rights, then signed the 39-year-old to a two-year, $10 million deal.
Now Goligoski and Gonchar are reunited and (sorry in advance), it feels so good.
“Leadership and he’s a great player,” Goligoski said. “[Gonchar will] be a great addition.”
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 1
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 7
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 19
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 38
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)