Aug 26, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
“He does it all,” Goligoski told Stars Inside Edge of the Russian rearguard, who will be his teammate in Dallas this season. “He is one of those players that if he is on your team he makes your team a lot better in the person that he is in the locker room, and out on the ice.”
Goligoski made his NHL debut in 2007-08 on Penguins team that featured the high-scoring Gonchar — he had 65 points in 78 games that year — and advanced all the way to the Stanley Cup Final.
A year later, Goligoski played in 45 regular-season and two playoff games while Gonchar returned from a season-long shoulder injury to help the Pens win the Cup.
From there, the two parted ways.
Gonchar signed a three-year deal with Ottawa in 2010 and, a year later, Goligoski was traded to Dallas as part of the James Neal deal.
The defensive duo came full circle this offseason when new Stars GM Jim Nill traded for Gonchar’s negotiating rights, then signed the 39-year-old to a two-year, $10 million deal.
Now Goligoski and Gonchar are reunited and (sorry in advance), it feels so good.
“Leadership and he’s a great player,” Goligoski said. “[Gonchar will] be a great addition.”
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 6
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 36
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)