Aug 26, 2013, 9:59 AM EST
Team Canada has their own orientation camp already underway in Calgary, and the biggest question there has to do with who will start in goal.
Carey Price, Roberto Luongo, Corey Crawford, Mike Smith, and Braden Holtby are the five goalies vying for the No. 1 job and the competition is expected to be stiff. Team GM Steve Yzerman says he’s confident things will shake out as Donna Spencer of the Canadian Press shares.
“I think there are some new faces that are very good goaltenders,” he said. “Roberto played on the last team. Corey Crawford is coming to camp. He just finished winning the Stanley Cup.
“Things will work itself out. I’m not going to worry about it here in August.”
There isn’t much point to worrying in August, it’s true. Canada’s camp, like Team USA’s camp, won’t have anyone participating on the ice because of the sky-high cost to insure the players. How those guys start their NHL seasons will do plenty to decide who goes to Sochi and who gets a few weeks off in February.
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 6
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 5
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 20
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)