Aug 26, 2013, 9:59 AM EDT
Team Canada has their own orientation camp already underway in Calgary, and the biggest question there has to do with who will start in goal.
Carey Price, Roberto Luongo, Corey Crawford, Mike Smith, and Braden Holtby are the five goalies vying for the No. 1 job and the competition is expected to be stiff. Team GM Steve Yzerman says he’s confident things will shake out as Donna Spencer of the Canadian Press shares.
“I think there are some new faces that are very good goaltenders,” he said. “Roberto played on the last team. Corey Crawford is coming to camp. He just finished winning the Stanley Cup.
“Things will work itself out. I’m not going to worry about it here in August.”
There isn’t much point to worrying in August, it’s true. Canada’s camp, like Team USA’s camp, won’t have anyone participating on the ice because of the sky-high cost to insure the players. How those guys start their NHL seasons will do plenty to decide who goes to Sochi and who gets a few weeks off in February.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 21
- All eyes on Lundqvist 9
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)