Aug 25, 2013, 8:51 PM EDT
TSN’s Bob McKenzie emphasizes that Hockey Canada isn’t throwing Claude Giroux “under the bus” publicly or privately. Even so, he noted in Sunday’s Insider Trading segment that many prominent members are “extremely disappointed” that the 25-year-old opted to heal his injured hand in Philadelphia instead of joining this week’s Olympic orientation camp.
McKenzie believes that Giroux ranks among eight forwards who are favorites – if not locks – to make the prestigious team, which is part of the reason the management and coaching staffs are reportedly displeased.
To be fair to Giroux, McKenzie notes that it’s possible that the Philadelphia Flyers urged him to stay and rehab in town rather than attend the orientation, which aims to build camaraderie as much as anything else.
In all likelihood, this situation will blow over, especially since his injury stands as a legitimate excuse.
That being said, if any country boasts the depth to thrive without a player of Giroux’s all-world caliber, it’s Canada. Combining this inconvenience with a rough start to 2013-14 may at least cause some rumblings behind the scenes.
Overall, it’s difficult to imagine a healthy Giroux missing out on this experience, though.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 10
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)