Aug 25, 2013, 8:51 PM EDT
TSN’s Bob McKenzie emphasizes that Hockey Canada isn’t throwing Claude Giroux “under the bus” publicly or privately. Even so, he noted in Sunday’s Insider Trading segment that many prominent members are “extremely disappointed” that the 25-year-old opted to heal his injured hand in Philadelphia instead of joining this week’s Olympic orientation camp.
McKenzie believes that Giroux ranks among eight forwards who are favorites – if not locks – to make the prestigious team, which is part of the reason the management and coaching staffs are reportedly displeased.
To be fair to Giroux, McKenzie notes that it’s possible that the Philadelphia Flyers urged him to stay and rehab in town rather than attend the orientation, which aims to build camaraderie as much as anything else.
In all likelihood, this situation will blow over, especially since his injury stands as a legitimate excuse.
That being said, if any country boasts the depth to thrive without a player of Giroux’s all-world caliber, it’s Canada. Combining this inconvenience with a rough start to 2013-14 may at least cause some rumblings behind the scenes.
Overall, it’s difficult to imagine a healthy Giroux missing out on this experience, though.
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 65
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)