Aug 25, 2013, 8:51 PM EST
TSN’s Bob McKenzie emphasizes that Hockey Canada isn’t throwing Claude Giroux “under the bus” publicly or privately. Even so, he noted in Sunday’s Insider Trading segment that many prominent members are “extremely disappointed” that the 25-year-old opted to heal his injured hand in Philadelphia instead of joining this week’s Olympic orientation camp.
McKenzie believes that Giroux ranks among eight forwards who are favorites – if not locks – to make the prestigious team, which is part of the reason the management and coaching staffs are reportedly displeased.
To be fair to Giroux, McKenzie notes that it’s possible that the Philadelphia Flyers urged him to stay and rehab in town rather than attend the orientation, which aims to build camaraderie as much as anything else.
In all likelihood, this situation will blow over, especially since his injury stands as a legitimate excuse.
That being said, if any country boasts the depth to thrive without a player of Giroux’s all-world caliber, it’s Canada. Combining this inconvenience with a rough start to 2013-14 may at least cause some rumblings behind the scenes.
Overall, it’s difficult to imagine a healthy Giroux missing out on this experience, though.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 3
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 46
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 72
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 74
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (72)