Aug 25, 2013, 8:51 PM EDT
TSN’s Bob McKenzie emphasizes that Hockey Canada isn’t throwing Claude Giroux “under the bus” publicly or privately. Even so, he noted in Sunday’s Insider Trading segment that many prominent members are “extremely disappointed” that the 25-year-old opted to heal his injured hand in Philadelphia instead of joining this week’s Olympic orientation camp.
McKenzie believes that Giroux ranks among eight forwards who are favorites – if not locks – to make the prestigious team, which is part of the reason the management and coaching staffs are reportedly displeased.
To be fair to Giroux, McKenzie notes that it’s possible that the Philadelphia Flyers urged him to stay and rehab in town rather than attend the orientation, which aims to build camaraderie as much as anything else.
In all likelihood, this situation will blow over, especially since his injury stands as a legitimate excuse.
That being said, if any country boasts the depth to thrive without a player of Giroux’s all-world caliber, it’s Canada. Combining this inconvenience with a rough start to 2013-14 may at least cause some rumblings behind the scenes.
Overall, it’s difficult to imagine a healthy Giroux missing out on this experience, though.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 12
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 21
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 32
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)