Aug 25, 2013, 7:35 PM EDT
NHL goalies must cope with failure in just about every game, but even the steeliest netminder would probably be a little flustered by the lows of Marc-Andre Fleury‘s last season.
The position can feel like a lonely one, so it makes sense that the Pittsburgh Penguins have reportedly been asking the 28-year-old to see a sports psychologist. The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that Fleury agreed to do so this summer.
“It’s another tool,” Fleury said. “It’s something that can help you perform, so why not give it a try? I think it was an opportune time to meet with him.”
Penguins GM Ray Shero provided a simple explanation to the Tribune-Review.
“Goalie is a delicate position, no different than a golfer or a tennis player: You’re on your own a lot,” Shero said. “I think it’s a good step for him, which he’s really taken seriously since our year-end meeting. It’s kind of like the situation with Matt Cooke in that you can’t just hope you’re going to come back and things are going to be different.
“A lot of guys talk to somebody. It’s a confidence thing.”
(H/T to The Score.)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 0
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 38
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)