Aug 25, 2013, 7:35 PM EDT
NHL goalies must cope with failure in just about every game, but even the steeliest netminder would probably be a little flustered by the lows of Marc-Andre Fleury‘s last season.
The position can feel like a lonely one, so it makes sense that the Pittsburgh Penguins have reportedly been asking the 28-year-old to see a sports psychologist. The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that Fleury agreed to do so this summer.
“It’s another tool,” Fleury said. “It’s something that can help you perform, so why not give it a try? I think it was an opportune time to meet with him.”
Penguins GM Ray Shero provided a simple explanation to the Tribune-Review.
“Goalie is a delicate position, no different than a golfer or a tennis player: You’re on your own a lot,” Shero said. “I think it’s a good step for him, which he’s really taken seriously since our year-end meeting. It’s kind of like the situation with Matt Cooke in that you can’t just hope you’re going to come back and things are going to be different.
“A lot of guys talk to somebody. It’s a confidence thing.”
(H/T to The Score.)
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 5
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 10
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 80
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (80)