Aug 25, 2013, 8:37 PM EST
Many believe that the best way to rebuild a team is to be bad enough to accumulate a war chest of high first-round draft picks. If someone wants to counter that it takes a little more than that, one merely needs to look at the Columbus Blue Jackets’ history.
Aside from Rick Nash, the majority of the team’s first-rounders either no longer play for the Blue Jackets (examples: Jakub Voracek and Derick Brassard) or aren’t even in the NHL any longer (such as: Pascal Leclaire and Nikolay Zherdev).
Still, that farm system might just be improving, thanks to one still-debatable question the old regime made and the stockpile that new GM Jarmo Kekalainen is beginning to build.
For NHL draft nerds, Ryan Murray will always beg the question: is he good enough to justify rejecting the New York Islanders’ Ricky Williams-like offer during the 2012 NHL Draft?
It’s way too early to know, especially considering his bad injury luck, but outlets such as NHL.com still rank him as the organization’s top prospect. Maybe he’ll be worth it in the long run.
The old regime distinguished itself with that quality-over-quantity move, yet Kekalainen’s first draft might be marked by quantity … at least until the prospects can be properly assessed.
Columbus managed three first-round draft picks to deepen its prospect pool: Alexander Wennberg (14th), Kerby Rychel (19th, via New York Rangers) and Mark Dano (27th, via Los Angeles Kings). All three are forwards, which seems like a wise area to improve since the team has put all of assets into improving the defensive corps in the past.
Things are looking up, but if you ask the experts, there’s still room for improvement. Hockey Prospectus ranks the Blue Jackets’ farm system 14th overall while Hockey’s Future placed them at 21st before the 2013 draft.
As they would say with the prospects themselves, patience is a big part of this development.
More Blue Jackets Day at PHT
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 3
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)