Aug 25, 2013, 9:26 PM EST
Toronto’s Biosteel Camp provided an impressive array of NHL talent, yet NHL.com reports that 16-year-old prospect Connor McDavid managed to keep up.
“He scored a pretty nice goal against us. Obviously his skill set is unbelievable,” Washington Capitals forward Joel Ward said. “It was actually pretty cool to see him. I’d never seen him play before, so I just kind of wanted to see what he was all about. He’s a highly touted player and you can see why.”
Ward was far from the only player to rave about McDavid, according to the National Post.
“Stephen Weiss said, ‘I think he’s the best player out here,’” Gary Roberts said “He looked at his skill level and was like, ‘How old is this guy?’”
McDavid won’t be draft eligible until 2015, but he can set his sights on something next season: joining Wayne Gretzky, Sidney Crosby, Eric Lindros, Jason Spezza and Jay Bouwmeester as the only players to represent Team Canada at the World Junior Championships at 16.
At this rate, it seems foolish to count him out.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 1
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)