Aug 25, 2013, 9:26 PM EDT
Toronto’s Biosteel Camp provided an impressive array of NHL talent, yet NHL.com reports that 16-year-old prospect Connor McDavid managed to keep up.
“He scored a pretty nice goal against us. Obviously his skill set is unbelievable,” Washington Capitals forward Joel Ward said. “It was actually pretty cool to see him. I’d never seen him play before, so I just kind of wanted to see what he was all about. He’s a highly touted player and you can see why.”
Ward was far from the only player to rave about McDavid, according to the National Post.
“Stephen Weiss said, ‘I think he’s the best player out here,’” Gary Roberts said “He looked at his skill level and was like, ‘How old is this guy?’”
McDavid won’t be draft eligible until 2015, but he can set his sights on something next season: joining Wayne Gretzky, Sidney Crosby, Eric Lindros, Jason Spezza and Jay Bouwmeester as the only players to represent Team Canada at the World Junior Championships at 16.
At this rate, it seems foolish to count him out.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 11
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 10
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 25
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 55
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)