Aug 25, 2013, 6:21 PM EDT
Boston Bruins center Patrice Bergeron might have entered the 2013 offseason with the largest list of injuries to heal from of any NHL player,* but the good news is that he’s almost there.
In fact, the 28-year-old forward provides an amusingly specific assessment of his condition: he’s at about 95 percent. The CBC’s Tim Wharnsby provides Bergeron’s full comment via Sunday’s Team Canada press conference.
“I’m about 95 per cent,” Bergeron said. “I’ve been on the ice and feel confident I’ll be ready for training camp and the start of the season.”
This falls in line with Bergeron’s optimistic – if impatient – update from a couple weeks ago, which followed the news of the Bruins handing the elite two-way player an eight-year, $52 million contract extension.
Of course, Bergeron needs to be himself to live up to that hefty extension, so these positive steps are heartening for the Bruins. Opting against surgery/surgeries seems like a wise choice so far, but we’ll see how his rehab comes along.
Team Canada might just want to make sure that the versatile (yet less flashy) forward is at his best in 2013-14, too.
* – You never know with these guys, though.
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 0
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 16
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)