Aug 25, 2013, 6:21 PM EDT
Boston Bruins center Patrice Bergeron might have entered the 2013 offseason with the largest list of injuries to heal from of any NHL player,* but the good news is that he’s almost there.
In fact, the 28-year-old forward provides an amusingly specific assessment of his condition: he’s at about 95 percent. The CBC’s Tim Wharnsby provides Bergeron’s full comment via Sunday’s Team Canada press conference.
“I’m about 95 per cent,” Bergeron said. “I’ve been on the ice and feel confident I’ll be ready for training camp and the start of the season.”
This falls in line with Bergeron’s optimistic – if impatient – update from a couple weeks ago, which followed the news of the Bruins handing the elite two-way player an eight-year, $52 million contract extension.
Of course, Bergeron needs to be himself to live up to that hefty extension, so these positive steps are heartening for the Bruins. Opting against surgery/surgeries seems like a wise choice so far, but we’ll see how his rehab comes along.
Team Canada might just want to make sure that the versatile (yet less flashy) forward is at his best in 2013-14, too.
* – You never know with these guys, though.
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)