Aug 25, 2013, 6:21 PM EDT
Boston Bruins center Patrice Bergeron might have entered the 2013 offseason with the largest list of injuries to heal from of any NHL player,* but the good news is that he’s almost there.
In fact, the 28-year-old forward provides an amusingly specific assessment of his condition: he’s at about 95 percent. The CBC’s Tim Wharnsby provides Bergeron’s full comment via Sunday’s Team Canada press conference.
“I’m about 95 per cent,” Bergeron said. “I’ve been on the ice and feel confident I’ll be ready for training camp and the start of the season.”
This falls in line with Bergeron’s optimistic – if impatient – update from a couple weeks ago, which followed the news of the Bruins handing the elite two-way player an eight-year, $52 million contract extension.
Of course, Bergeron needs to be himself to live up to that hefty extension, so these positive steps are heartening for the Bruins. Opting against surgery/surgeries seems like a wise choice so far, but we’ll see how his rehab comes along.
Team Canada might just want to make sure that the versatile (yet less flashy) forward is at his best in 2013-14, too.
* – You never know with these guys, though.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)