Aug 25, 2013, 6:21 PM EDT
Boston Bruins center Patrice Bergeron might have entered the 2013 offseason with the largest list of injuries to heal from of any NHL player,* but the good news is that he’s almost there.
In fact, the 28-year-old forward provides an amusingly specific assessment of his condition: he’s at about 95 percent. The CBC’s Tim Wharnsby provides Bergeron’s full comment via Sunday’s Team Canada press conference.
“I’m about 95 per cent,” Bergeron said. “I’ve been on the ice and feel confident I’ll be ready for training camp and the start of the season.”
This falls in line with Bergeron’s optimistic – if impatient – update from a couple weeks ago, which followed the news of the Bruins handing the elite two-way player an eight-year, $52 million contract extension.
Of course, Bergeron needs to be himself to live up to that hefty extension, so these positive steps are heartening for the Bruins. Opting against surgery/surgeries seems like a wise choice so far, but we’ll see how his rehab comes along.
Team Canada might just want to make sure that the versatile (yet less flashy) forward is at his best in 2013-14, too.
* – You never know with these guys, though.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)