Aug 24, 2013, 2:40 PM EDT
When Toronto used a compliance buyout on Mikhail Grabovski, the 29-year-old center responded by calling Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle an “[expletive] idiot.”
Grabovski didn’t feel Carlyle gave him enough support or playing time in a season where he averaged 15:34 minutes per game and recorded 16 points in 48 contests. He has since signed with the Washington Capitals and he thinks that his new bench boss, Adam Oates, gets him.
“I like everything [Oates] said [to me],” said Grabovski, according to CSN Washington.
His new deal is just for the 2013-14 campaign, but another lucrative contract could be on the way for Grabovski if he bounces back this season. He’s projected to serve as the Capitals’ second-line center, which sets him up nicely for his potential comeback.
As for his previous controversies with the Toronto Maple Leafs, Grabovski just wants to move on.
“It’s a new life now for me,” he said. “I’ll try my best to prove myself and play better than last year. Right now I just want to think about the future.”
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 32
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 15
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 4
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 57
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (57)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)