Aug 24, 2013, 2:40 PM EDT
When Toronto used a compliance buyout on Mikhail Grabovski, the 29-year-old center responded by calling Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle an “[expletive] idiot.”
Grabovski didn’t feel Carlyle gave him enough support or playing time in a season where he averaged 15:34 minutes per game and recorded 16 points in 48 contests. He has since signed with the Washington Capitals and he thinks that his new bench boss, Adam Oates, gets him.
“I like everything [Oates] said [to me],” said Grabovski, according to CSN Washington.
His new deal is just for the 2013-14 campaign, but another lucrative contract could be on the way for Grabovski if he bounces back this season. He’s projected to serve as the Capitals’ second-line center, which sets him up nicely for his potential comeback.
As for his previous controversies with the Toronto Maple Leafs, Grabovski just wants to move on.
“It’s a new life now for me,” he said. “I’ll try my best to prove myself and play better than last year. Right now I just want to think about the future.”
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 27
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 78
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (83)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)