Aug 24, 2013, 2:40 PM EST
When Toronto used a compliance buyout on Mikhail Grabovski, the 29-year-old center responded by calling Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle an “[expletive] idiot.”
Grabovski didn’t feel Carlyle gave him enough support or playing time in a season where he averaged 15:34 minutes per game and recorded 16 points in 48 contests. He has since signed with the Washington Capitals and he thinks that his new bench boss, Adam Oates, gets him.
“I like everything [Oates] said [to me],” said Grabovski, according to CSN Washington.
His new deal is just for the 2013-14 campaign, but another lucrative contract could be on the way for Grabovski if he bounces back this season. He’s projected to serve as the Capitals’ second-line center, which sets him up nicely for his potential comeback.
As for his previous controversies with the Toronto Maple Leafs, Grabovski just wants to move on.
“It’s a new life now for me,” he said. “I’ll try my best to prove myself and play better than last year. Right now I just want to think about the future.”
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 24
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 23
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 42
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)