Aug 24, 2013, 2:40 PM EST
When Toronto used a compliance buyout on Mikhail Grabovski, the 29-year-old center responded by calling Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle an “[expletive] idiot.”
Grabovski didn’t feel Carlyle gave him enough support or playing time in a season where he averaged 15:34 minutes per game and recorded 16 points in 48 contests. He has since signed with the Washington Capitals and he thinks that his new bench boss, Adam Oates, gets him.
“I like everything [Oates] said [to me],” said Grabovski, according to CSN Washington.
His new deal is just for the 2013-14 campaign, but another lucrative contract could be on the way for Grabovski if he bounces back this season. He’s projected to serve as the Capitals’ second-line center, which sets him up nicely for his potential comeback.
As for his previous controversies with the Toronto Maple Leafs, Grabovski just wants to move on.
“It’s a new life now for me,” he said. “I’ll try my best to prove myself and play better than last year. Right now I just want to think about the future.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)