Aug 24, 2013, 2:40 PM EDT
When Toronto used a compliance buyout on Mikhail Grabovski, the 29-year-old center responded by calling Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle an “[expletive] idiot.”
Grabovski didn’t feel Carlyle gave him enough support or playing time in a season where he averaged 15:34 minutes per game and recorded 16 points in 48 contests. He has since signed with the Washington Capitals and he thinks that his new bench boss, Adam Oates, gets him.
“I like everything [Oates] said [to me],” said Grabovski, according to CSN Washington.
His new deal is just for the 2013-14 campaign, but another lucrative contract could be on the way for Grabovski if he bounces back this season. He’s projected to serve as the Capitals’ second-line center, which sets him up nicely for his potential comeback.
As for his previous controversies with the Toronto Maple Leafs, Grabovski just wants to move on.
“It’s a new life now for me,” he said. “I’ll try my best to prove myself and play better than last year. Right now I just want to think about the future.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)