Aug 24, 2013, 7:30 AM EST
It wasn’t that long ago, the day of the NHL Draft on June 30.
Luongo was at his house in Florida, when he got a call from Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini.
“He was in Florida and asked if he could come visit me. So I was like, ‘Yeah, no problem,’” Luongo told TSN’s James Duthie during an interview that ran Friday on SportsCentre.
“I thought he just wanted to talk to me about my future and stuff like that. He showed up about three, four picks into the draft. So he hits on my couch and asks me to turn my TV off. I was like ‘OK,’ because I was watching the draft.
“I turned it off and we start talking and all of a sudden he tells me that (Schneider) has been traded. As he’s telling me this, my phone starts blowing up at the same time. It was perfect timing. I was kind of floored, to be honest with you. Out of all the situations that I envisioned that could possibly happening to me, that wasn’t one of them.”
As we’ve covered over and over again, the Canucks had been trying – unsuccessfully – to deal Luongo and his 12-year, $64 million contract since he was placed on the bench as the back-up in Vancouver midway through the first round of the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs.
At that time, Schneider took over as the starter.
At this year’s draft, the Canucks did the unexpected and dealt Schneider to New Jersey for the ninth overall selection.
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 45
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 29
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 6
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 53
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 60
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)