Aug 24, 2013, 7:30 AM EDT
It wasn’t that long ago, the day of the NHL Draft on June 30.
Luongo was at his house in Florida, when he got a call from Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini.
“He was in Florida and asked if he could come visit me. So I was like, ‘Yeah, no problem,'” Luongo told TSN’s James Duthie during an interview that ran Friday on SportsCentre.
“I thought he just wanted to talk to me about my future and stuff like that. He showed up about three, four picks into the draft. So he hits on my couch and asks me to turn my TV off. I was like ‘OK,’ because I was watching the draft.
“I turned it off and we start talking and all of a sudden he tells me that (Schneider) has been traded. As he’s telling me this, my phone starts blowing up at the same time. It was perfect timing. I was kind of floored, to be honest with you. Out of all the situations that I envisioned that could possibly happening to me, that wasn’t one of them.”
As we’ve covered over and over again, the Canucks had been trying – unsuccessfully – to deal Luongo and his 12-year, $64 million contract since he was placed on the bench as the back-up in Vancouver midway through the first round of the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs.
At that time, Schneider took over as the starter.
At this year’s draft, the Canucks did the unexpected and dealt Schneider to New Jersey for the ninth overall selection.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 1
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 2
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 33
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)