Aug 24, 2013, 7:30 AM EDT
It wasn’t that long ago, the day of the NHL Draft on June 30.
Luongo was at his house in Florida, when he got a call from Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini.
“He was in Florida and asked if he could come visit me. So I was like, ‘Yeah, no problem,'” Luongo told TSN’s James Duthie during an interview that ran Friday on SportsCentre.
“I thought he just wanted to talk to me about my future and stuff like that. He showed up about three, four picks into the draft. So he hits on my couch and asks me to turn my TV off. I was like ‘OK,’ because I was watching the draft.
“I turned it off and we start talking and all of a sudden he tells me that (Schneider) has been traded. As he’s telling me this, my phone starts blowing up at the same time. It was perfect timing. I was kind of floored, to be honest with you. Out of all the situations that I envisioned that could possibly happening to me, that wasn’t one of them.”
As we’ve covered over and over again, the Canucks had been trying – unsuccessfully – to deal Luongo and his 12-year, $64 million contract since he was placed on the bench as the back-up in Vancouver midway through the first round of the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs.
At that time, Schneider took over as the starter.
At this year’s draft, the Canucks did the unexpected and dealt Schneider to New Jersey for the ninth overall selection.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)