Aug 24, 2013, 7:30 AM EST
It wasn’t that long ago, the day of the NHL Draft on June 30.
Luongo was at his house in Florida, when he got a call from Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini.
“He was in Florida and asked if he could come visit me. So I was like, ‘Yeah, no problem,'” Luongo told TSN’s James Duthie during an interview that ran Friday on SportsCentre.
“I thought he just wanted to talk to me about my future and stuff like that. He showed up about three, four picks into the draft. So he hits on my couch and asks me to turn my TV off. I was like ‘OK,’ because I was watching the draft.
“I turned it off and we start talking and all of a sudden he tells me that (Schneider) has been traded. As he’s telling me this, my phone starts blowing up at the same time. It was perfect timing. I was kind of floored, to be honest with you. Out of all the situations that I envisioned that could possibly happening to me, that wasn’t one of them.”
As we’ve covered over and over again, the Canucks had been trying – unsuccessfully – to deal Luongo and his 12-year, $64 million contract since he was placed on the bench as the back-up in Vancouver midway through the first round of the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs.
At that time, Schneider took over as the starter.
At this year’s draft, the Canucks did the unexpected and dealt Schneider to New Jersey for the ninth overall selection.
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 8
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 100
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 31
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 24
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (104)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)