Aug 24, 2013, 12:29 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes don’t lack experience going into the 2013-14 campaign, but there’s a good chance their opening game roster will also feature two noteworthy rookies.
Defenseman Ryan Murphy, 20, got his first taste of NHL action last season with a four-game stint and he made a good impression on Hurricanes coach Kirk Muller while averaging 21:04 minutes per contest.
“I was really pleased with him,” Muller told the NHL.com. “He doesn’t look intimidated at all. … He showed that at times he’s capable of doing things that will keep him in the NHL. Now it’s being consistent.”
Murphy might end up on Carolina’s third defensive pairing and get some power-play ice time. Although he didn’t record a point during his time with the Hurricanes, Murphy can contribute offensively. He finished the 2012-13 campaign with 48 points in 54 OHL contests.
The Hurricanes also have an opening for 18-year-old forward Elias Lindholm after selecting him with the fifth pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. Lindholm already has some experience playing among men after scoring 11 goals and 30 points in 48 games in Sweden’s top league.
Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford likes Lindholm’s high-tempo game and would be “shocked” if he doesn’t earn a roster spot.
More specifically, Muller sees Lindholm has a candidate to start the season as the team’s third-line center. The Hurricanes bench boss is comfortable with the top two lines, but the third line is a bigger question mark.
Murphy and Lindholm might not play big roles this season, but they are both highly regarded prospects with the potential to eventually establish themselves as important players.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)