Aug 24, 2013, 12:29 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes don’t lack experience going into the 2013-14 campaign, but there’s a good chance their opening game roster will also feature two noteworthy rookies.
Defenseman Ryan Murphy, 20, got his first taste of NHL action last season with a four-game stint and he made a good impression on Hurricanes coach Kirk Muller while averaging 21:04 minutes per contest.
“I was really pleased with him,” Muller told the NHL.com. “He doesn’t look intimidated at all. … He showed that at times he’s capable of doing things that will keep him in the NHL. Now it’s being consistent.”
Murphy might end up on Carolina’s third defensive pairing and get some power-play ice time. Although he didn’t record a point during his time with the Hurricanes, Murphy can contribute offensively. He finished the 2012-13 campaign with 48 points in 54 OHL contests.
The Hurricanes also have an opening for 18-year-old forward Elias Lindholm after selecting him with the fifth pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. Lindholm already has some experience playing among men after scoring 11 goals and 30 points in 48 games in Sweden’s top league.
Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford likes Lindholm’s high-tempo game and would be “shocked” if he doesn’t earn a roster spot.
More specifically, Muller sees Lindholm has a candidate to start the season as the team’s third-line center. The Hurricanes bench boss is comfortable with the top two lines, but the third line is a bigger question mark.
Murphy and Lindholm might not play big roles this season, but they are both highly regarded prospects with the potential to eventually establish themselves as important players.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 34
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22