Aug 23, 2013, 11:18 AM EDT
Though he’s only 21, Tyler Seguin is ready to step up and take charge of the Stars.
“I want to earn my way around Dallas, (taking a) young leadership role,” the former Bruin told the Toronto Star. “If you look at my resume, it has those things required to make me a leader with what I’ve been through already.”
Seguin’s line of thinking is this:
In three seasons, he’s already been to two Stanley Cup finals (winning once), made the playoffs every year and, subsequently, has accumulated more postseason experience than some guys get over a lifetime.
That experience, he says, should put him in a position to lead a Dallas club that hasn’t been to the playoffs in five years.
“I’m still pretty young in this league,” he acknowledged, “but going to the Cup finals and winning it in my first year, then losing this year, I feel like I know a lot, what it takes, what it tastes like, how the team has to be to get to certain areas.”
To some, Seguin’s talk of taking a leadership role might induce eye-rolls. His Bruins exit was marred by allegations of immaturity and a party lifestyle, and there was a minor controversy following his arrival in Dallas when he alleged someone “hacked” his Twitter account.
That said, there is an opportunity for him to forge a prominent role on the Stars.
On the current roster, none of Dallas’ young core guys — Jamie Benn, Cody Eakin, Valeri Nichushkin, Brenden Dillon, Jamie Oleksiak — have tasted postseason hockey. Seguin could emerge as the voice of experience for that group.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)