Aug 23, 2013, 10:38 AM EST
The Buffalo Sabres have reportedly added a key piece to Ron Rolston’s coaching staff, hiring longtime NCAA bench boss Jerry Forton as an assistant head coach, according to the Buffalo News.
Forton, who spent the last two seasons as an assistant at Harvard, comes to the Sabres boasting a remarkably diverse resume. He was a former collegiate soccer standout at the University of Buffalo who later went on to coach the Bulls’ men’s soccer team and open his own law practice in the Buffalo area.
Forton then became the assistant coach of Niagara’s men’s hockey team in 1996-97, and stayed with the Purple Eagles for 12 years before moving to UMass-Lowell in 2009-10.
It’s not surprising Rolston went this route in selecting an assistant. The Sabres bench boss used to coach at Harvard himself — from 1999-2002 — and spent 12 years coaching in the NCAA before jumping to the AHL (Rochester) and, eventually, the NHL.
(Photo courtesy ECAC.com)
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)