Aug 23, 2013, 10:38 AM EST
The Buffalo Sabres have reportedly added a key piece to Ron Rolston’s coaching staff, hiring longtime NCAA bench boss Jerry Forton as an assistant head coach, according to the Buffalo News.
Forton, who spent the last two seasons as an assistant at Harvard, comes to the Sabres boasting a remarkably diverse resume. He was a former collegiate soccer standout at the University of Buffalo who later went on to coach the Bulls’ men’s soccer team and open his own law practice in the Buffalo area.
Forton then became the assistant coach of Niagara’s men’s hockey team in 1996-97, and stayed with the Purple Eagles for 12 years before moving to UMass-Lowell in 2009-10.
It’s not surprising Rolston went this route in selecting an assistant. The Sabres bench boss used to coach at Harvard himself — from 1999-2002 — and spent 12 years coaching in the NCAA before jumping to the AHL (Rochester) and, eventually, the NHL.
(Photo courtesy ECAC.com)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 141
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 116
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (144)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (117)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)