Aug 23, 2013, 10:38 AM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres have reportedly added a key piece to Ron Rolston’s coaching staff, hiring longtime NCAA bench boss Jerry Forton as an assistant head coach, according to the Buffalo News.
Forton, who spent the last two seasons as an assistant at Harvard, comes to the Sabres boasting a remarkably diverse resume. He was a former collegiate soccer standout at the University of Buffalo who later went on to coach the Bulls’ men’s soccer team and open his own law practice in the Buffalo area.
Forton then became the assistant coach of Niagara’s men’s hockey team in 1996-97, and stayed with the Purple Eagles for 12 years before moving to UMass-Lowell in 2009-10.
It’s not surprising Rolston went this route in selecting an assistant. The Sabres bench boss used to coach at Harvard himself — from 1999-2002 — and spent 12 years coaching in the NCAA before jumping to the AHL (Rochester) and, eventually, the NHL.
(Photo courtesy ECAC.com)
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)