Aug 23, 2013, 10:38 AM EST
The Buffalo Sabres have reportedly added a key piece to Ron Rolston’s coaching staff, hiring longtime NCAA bench boss Jerry Forton as an assistant head coach, according to the Buffalo News.
Forton, who spent the last two seasons as an assistant at Harvard, comes to the Sabres boasting a remarkably diverse resume. He was a former collegiate soccer standout at the University of Buffalo who later went on to coach the Bulls’ men’s soccer team and open his own law practice in the Buffalo area.
Forton then became the assistant coach of Niagara’s men’s hockey team in 1996-97, and stayed with the Purple Eagles for 12 years before moving to UMass-Lowell in 2009-10.
It’s not surprising Rolston went this route in selecting an assistant. The Sabres bench boss used to coach at Harvard himself — from 1999-2002 — and spent 12 years coaching in the NCAA before jumping to the AHL (Rochester) and, eventually, the NHL.
(Photo courtesy ECAC.com)
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)