Aug 23, 2013, 10:38 AM EST
The Buffalo Sabres have reportedly added a key piece to Ron Rolston’s coaching staff, hiring longtime NCAA bench boss Jerry Forton as an assistant head coach, according to the Buffalo News.
Forton, who spent the last two seasons as an assistant at Harvard, comes to the Sabres boasting a remarkably diverse resume. He was a former collegiate soccer standout at the University of Buffalo who later went on to coach the Bulls’ men’s soccer team and open his own law practice in the Buffalo area.
Forton then became the assistant coach of Niagara’s men’s hockey team in 1996-97, and stayed with the Purple Eagles for 12 years before moving to UMass-Lowell in 2009-10.
It’s not surprising Rolston went this route in selecting an assistant. The Sabres bench boss used to coach at Harvard himself — from 1999-2002 — and spent 12 years coaching in the NCAA before jumping to the AHL (Rochester) and, eventually, the NHL.
(Photo courtesy ECAC.com)
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 15
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 16
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 65
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 17
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 16
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 34
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (65)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)