Aug 23, 2013, 6:07 PM EDT
The world of professional hockey, much like love itself (sorry to get mushy), can be a fickle thing.
After a summer of silence, Roberto Luongo has shed light on his relationship with the Vancouver Canucks after the latest developments in an ongoing goaltender saga that has, at times, dominated headlines around the National Hockey League.
In an interview with TSN’s James Duthie, Luongo said he will report to Canucks training camp in September.
“Yeah, no doubt. I have a contract, I plan to honor it,” Luongo told Duthie in an interview, which ran Friday afternoon on TSN’s SportsCentre.
He also likened his relationship with the Canucks to a marriage recently fraught with ups and downs, and indecision. A divorce between player and organization, only it hasn’t work out that way.
“I accepted it…and moved on personally,” Luongo told Duthie about his relationship with the Canucks.
“Only problem was she wanted me back.”
News of Luongo’s interview with Duthie broke Friday morning, when the host of NHL on TSN sent out a series of tweets about the high-profile Canucks goaltender.
For more than a full year, Luongo has been the subject of trade talk, with general manager Mike Gillis making no secret he was trying to deal the goalie.
However, all attempts to trade Luongo were unsuccessful and it’s largely believed that his 12-year, $64 million contract was the largest obstacle for any potential deals.
In fact, once trade deadline day had officially passed and Luongo was still a member of the Canucks, he unloaded to the media a profound one-liner – “My contract sucks.”
The goaltending controversy swirling around Vancouver took another twist at the NHL Draft in June.
The Canucks, in a surprise move, dealt Schneider to the New Jersey Devils for the ninth overall pick.
It was a trade that “shocked” Luongo.
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 14
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 29
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 29
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)