Aug 23, 2013, 8:39 PM EDT
Often outspoken, former Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke has become the latest person to speak out against Russia’s highly controversial anti-gay propaganda laws.
Burke’s late son Brendan came out in 2009. Brendan’s brother, Patrick Burke, is the co-founder of the You Can Play Project – a worldwide initiative aimed at providing “a means for athletes, coaches, and fans to stand up and create an atmosphere of inclusion” in all sports for everyone, regardless of sexual orientation.
Russia’s anti-gay propaganda laws have angered people across the world, leading to protests and calls for a boycott of the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
Burke, according to a report in the Globe and Mail, does not support such a boycott of the upcoming Sochi Games.
However, he does not believe that Russia should be awarded any future international competitions, so long as that country’s anti-gay laws remain.
“People should make it known that this type of bias can’t take place,” said Burke, as per the Globe and Mail.
“But I think a boycott is misplaced. A boycott punishes the athletes. If we say we’re not going in the face of these laws, I think that punishes every Canadian, American, Argentinian athlete that’s prepared so hard for these Games. I don’t think it’s appropriate.
“The appropriate measure should be that as long as these laws are on the books, Russia should not be awarded another international competition. In the meantime, they’ve got to guarantee everybody’s safety.”
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)