Aug 23, 2013, 8:39 PM EDT
Often outspoken, former Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke has become the latest person to speak out against Russia’s highly controversial anti-gay propaganda laws.
Burke’s late son Brendan came out in 2009. Brendan’s brother, Patrick Burke, is the co-founder of the You Can Play Project – a worldwide initiative aimed at providing “a means for athletes, coaches, and fans to stand up and create an atmosphere of inclusion” in all sports for everyone, regardless of sexual orientation.
Russia’s anti-gay propaganda laws have angered people across the world, leading to protests and calls for a boycott of the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
Burke, according to a report in the Globe and Mail, does not support such a boycott of the upcoming Sochi Games.
However, he does not believe that Russia should be awarded any future international competitions, so long as that country’s anti-gay laws remain.
“People should make it known that this type of bias can’t take place,” said Burke, as per the Globe and Mail.
“But I think a boycott is misplaced. A boycott punishes the athletes. If we say we’re not going in the face of these laws, I think that punishes every Canadian, American, Argentinian athlete that’s prepared so hard for these Games. I don’t think it’s appropriate.
“The appropriate measure should be that as long as these laws are on the books, Russia should not be awarded another international competition. In the meantime, they’ve got to guarantee everybody’s safety.”
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 8
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)