Aug 23, 2013, 2:24 PM EST
When the Devils took Jeff Frazee with the 38th overall pick at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft — the fourth goalie taken behind Carey Price, Tuukka Rask and Tyler Plante — there was some thought they’d found a potential replacement for Martin Brodeur.
Eight years later, that thought has all but died.
Frazee has left the Devils to sign with Valpellice of Italy’s Elite A league, the club announced on Friday. The 26-year-old is headed to Italy after his agent told NorthJersey.com there was also interest from the Swedish Hockey League.
A former University of Minnesota standout, Frazee only made one appearance with the Devils — a three-save relief of Johan Hedberg this past March — spending the majority of the last five seasons in the AHL (he was named to the league’s All-Star Game in 2008-09).
It’s likely the addition of Cory Schneider at the NHL Draft (and the iimpending platoon between Schneider and Martin Brodeur) played a role in Frazee moving on, along with the emergence of young netminder Keith Kinkaid.
It should be noted the Devils did want to retain Frazee — GM Lou Lamoriello told NorthJersey.com that “we have every intention of bringing Jeff back,” prior to Frazee becoming an unrestricted free agent in July.
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 32
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)