Aug 23, 2013, 2:24 PM EDT
When the Devils took Jeff Frazee with the 38th overall pick at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft — the fourth goalie taken behind Carey Price, Tuukka Rask and Tyler Plante — there was some thought they’d found a potential replacement for Martin Brodeur.
Eight years later, that thought has all but died.
Frazee has left the Devils to sign with Valpellice of Italy’s Elite A league, the club announced on Friday. The 26-year-old is headed to Italy after his agent told NorthJersey.com there was also interest from the Swedish Hockey League.
A former University of Minnesota standout, Frazee only made one appearance with the Devils — a three-save relief of Johan Hedberg this past March — spending the majority of the last five seasons in the AHL (he was named to the league’s All-Star Game in 2008-09).
It’s likely the addition of Cory Schneider at the NHL Draft (and the iimpending platoon between Schneider and Martin Brodeur) played a role in Frazee moving on, along with the emergence of young netminder Keith Kinkaid.
It should be noted the Devils did want to retain Frazee — GM Lou Lamoriello told NorthJersey.com that “we have every intention of bringing Jeff back,” prior to Frazee becoming an unrestricted free agent in July.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 3
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 6
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 28
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)