Aug 23, 2013, 2:24 PM EDT
When the Devils took Jeff Frazee with the 38th overall pick at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft — the fourth goalie taken behind Carey Price, Tuukka Rask and Tyler Plante — there was some thought they’d found a potential replacement for Martin Brodeur.
Eight years later, that thought has all but died.
Frazee has left the Devils to sign with Valpellice of Italy’s Elite A league, the club announced on Friday. The 26-year-old is headed to Italy after his agent told NorthJersey.com there was also interest from the Swedish Hockey League.
A former University of Minnesota standout, Frazee only made one appearance with the Devils — a three-save relief of Johan Hedberg this past March — spending the majority of the last five seasons in the AHL (he was named to the league’s All-Star Game in 2008-09).
It’s likely the addition of Cory Schneider at the NHL Draft (and the iimpending platoon between Schneider and Martin Brodeur) played a role in Frazee moving on, along with the emergence of young netminder Keith Kinkaid.
It should be noted the Devils did want to retain Frazee — GM Lou Lamoriello told NorthJersey.com that “we have every intention of bringing Jeff back,” prior to Frazee becoming an unrestricted free agent in July.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)