Aug 23, 2013, 2:24 PM EST
When the Devils took Jeff Frazee with the 38th overall pick at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft — the fourth goalie taken behind Carey Price, Tuukka Rask and Tyler Plante — there was some thought they’d found a potential replacement for Martin Brodeur.
Eight years later, that thought has all but died.
Frazee has left the Devils to sign with Valpellice of Italy’s Elite A league, the club announced on Friday. The 26-year-old is headed to Italy after his agent told NorthJersey.com there was also interest from the Swedish Hockey League.
A former University of Minnesota standout, Frazee only made one appearance with the Devils — a three-save relief of Johan Hedberg this past March — spending the majority of the last five seasons in the AHL (he was named to the league’s All-Star Game in 2008-09).
It’s likely the addition of Cory Schneider at the NHL Draft (and the iimpending platoon between Schneider and Martin Brodeur) played a role in Frazee moving on, along with the emergence of young netminder Keith Kinkaid.
It should be noted the Devils did want to retain Frazee — GM Lou Lamoriello told NorthJersey.com that “we have every intention of bringing Jeff back,” prior to Frazee becoming an unrestricted free agent in July.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 3
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 11
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 18
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)